New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 upgrade issue if you have modified User folder locations on Win7?

Greetings,

I have been a windows secrets newsletter subscriber for a very long time. I am almost certain this was in a newsletter at some point but I have searched the archives and cannot find it.

I thought I read that if you changed the location of your Documents, Music, etc. folders even the "right way" (so right click choose location, choose whether to copy or not) in your current Windows version, that the Windows 10 upgrade has problems.

So therefore, before you upgrade, you have to change the locations back to the C drive (which of course you must do without copying all that data that is now probably on another, larger drive vs. your boot drive SSD).

Do I recall correctly? Or is this only if you moved the entire User PROFILE to a new location? Which of course is not a Microsoft supported move.

Regardless, I plan to disconnect my data drives before the upgrade anyway (I have questions on this "file permission issue" but that is another thread). If I do so, will Windows just build default empty user folders on C during the upgrade? Or is this what creates the problem.

Thanks,

BJB

Thanks
    Rather than move those default locations, I just create new folders on the data partition and include them in the appropriate Library - Documents, Pictures, or Music.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    BJB,

Welcome to the Lounge as a New Poster!

YMMV but I've successfully upgraded two laptops that both had the Documents,Music,Pictures, and Videos folders moved (the right way) with out a problem. Of course both of these were done with ISO files vs the upgrade. One of the machines in in the Windows Insiders program and of course it has upgraded it self many a time (after the initial ISO installation) w/o a single problem.

As always, Make SURE you have a GOOD IMAGE backup of your drive before doing any major upgrade!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BJB,

The issue of location of library files also arises when doing an "in-place non-destructive reinstallation" as per Fred Langa. Just something worth repeating again.

Zig