New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 User Folder File Permission Bug - What triggers it, how to avoid it?

I have read up on this, and I have not yet upgraded to W10 so don't have the issue. But in all my reading, I have not been able to determine what triggers this behavior where Windows 10 changes the permissions of user documents, pictures, etc. so users cannot open or save to those folders? Every thread seems to be about how to help dig a poor user out of a security access hole as they try to access their files and while onedrive is changing permissions on the fly and patches are changes things also. I just want to know how to not start going down that path when I upgrade to 10.

Clearly onedrive is implicated in the issue. But it does not seem so simple as just turning onedrive off, as the "damage" is already done at that point.

Does anyone know the combination of factors that triggers this issue? Is it if you previously moved your default folder location to another drive?
    Logging in with onedrive and then moving user folders around?

If you install 10 with a local account, does this insulate you from this issue?

Thanks!

BJB

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge! I recall only one mention of permissions problems with user data. I haven't experienced it. I relocated my user folders to another drive using the Location tab in Properties so I could get my OS drive down to 60GB before I upgraded to Windows 10. I've had no issues with permissions at all, no problems accessing my data on the other drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge! I recall only one mention of permissions problems with user data. I haven't experienced it. I relocated my user folders to another drive using the Location tab in Properties so I could get my OS drive down to 60GB before I upgraded to Windows 10. I've had no issues with permissions at all, no problems accessing my data on the other drive.
    That is good to hear! Onedrive is certainly implicated, although unclear what triggers the issue. If you read the first few pages and last few of this thread, it provides a nice summary of the issue and most of these are pretty experienced users. But wish it was clear what triggers it...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-7863e40d9576

BJB