Thread: .asf

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

.asf

Hello. Can anybody here help me see some .asf folders in Win-10 ? My son, ( on Mac ) insists that I should be able to see his .asf files but so far I have been unable. Says who ? I have looked at vlc, nogo !
    Thanks. All best wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-08-29 at 10:26.

Thanks
    Have you checked your file associations in Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Associations ?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried VLC?

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jean,

Are you trying to read the files from his Mac? If so, you need to load software on your machine that will read a Mac formatted disk...yes it is different than windows. Do a google. I know this software exists, in free versions, because I had to help my nephew (Mac guy) read some pictures & videos from an external Mac Formatted drive on my Sister-in-law's (Windows) computer, this was urgent since they were of her granddaughter! HTH

Update: Check out this Make Use Of article.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-08-28 at 22:14.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello to all of you who responded to my plea.

These files came via a Mac indeed. They were taken with a Canon digital camera. My son being on a Mac was true to these users. What he brought first were the "metadata" folders for his three folders, they were of 400 kbs and held nothing. Today, he came with the files proper of around 20 mbs, one is of 132 mbs. He could not explain the need for these doublers.

Again, being of a good Mac philosophy, he was blaming W-10 first time, today they played fine on my laptop using Film & TV as provided by MS.

He went home with his tail between his legs but I have also learned. VLC was not required but I kept it anyway.

Thanks again for the fine camaraderie. All best wishes. Jean.