Thread: APC Beeps

Lounger
    Thanks

APC Beeps

My back-up power supply beeps intermittently. I have no idea how old my back-up power supply is. It started to beep a couple of weeks ago, after a power outage. I pulled the battery and did a load test, and it failed. The battery was a 12V 5.19AH, not one I stock. So I took a 12V 7AH off the shelf and extended the battery leads. This is not a cheap china crap battery, but a Power Sonic. I have load tested the new battery and it tests OK. Any suggestions? Get a new back-up power supply? Put a 12V 5.19 AH battery in? The higher capacity battery should not make a difference.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can lookup the replacement battery type on the APC site. Often a new UPS unit is very close in price to a replacement battery. You should consider changes in your equipment and electronics before deciding about a new UPS.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As a general rule newer batteries have higher A/H capacity for the same physical size - improvements in battery technology. Using a higher capacity battery is not an issue for the equipment, it charges with the same current and reaches the same voltage, you just get longer before the battery runs low.

If the new battery passes a load test, all is OK, if not it's replacement UPS time.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fireman,

Last year I replaced batteries in both my APC NS1500 & APC NS1250. These both use double battery packs. I used these batteries.
    They have been running just fine w/o problems. There are videos on youtube that show you how to disassemble the battery packs and reassemble them. Believe me when I say I'm not very handy but had no problem doing this. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Seems like a good price w/ free shipping. But beware I have found mail order lead acid batteries are not always returnable. Bought a jump starter at Walmart for a few bucks more so that I could return it.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    @ All

Main reason I turn my systems off before I go to bed.

Tried using a UPS w/ my main system a few years ago. After only a few months (<22) the UPS wanted a new battery and thereafter misbehaved whenever I wanted to boot into my main system. Solution was to ditch the UPS.

Since turn off all computers before I go to bed; turn them on again in the morning - no more UPS problems.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should have used a better UPS!

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    An update. Now the back-up power supply has started to beep 2 or 3 times a day. I figured the battery would charge OK even though it is larger than what was in the power supply. And I tested the new battery today, it passed the load test. I think I can live with the beep.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My rule of thumb for UPS systems is to replace the battery one and only one time. Batteries usually last about 5 years, so if you replace the battery once you'll get a service life of about 10 years.

At that point I figure the electronics are getting old, often times the ports are changing, and the UPS isn't serviced or supported by the vendor any more. The whole point of a UPS is safety and therefore it's bad practice to push the lifespan envelope on the device.

As for the battery itself, I always use the recommended parts. It is true though that the replacement batteries are quite close in price to a whole new UPS. As such I don't judge people who simply opt to replace the whole thing every time.