2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing with Microsoft, Why?

Is there any way to use Cortana without sharing with Microsoft?
    I do not see why one needs to share any information with Microsoft in order to use Cortana and can not find a way around it.

I may have to go to a 3rd party for voice commands and dictation.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB-TX View Post
    Is there any way to use Cortana without sharing with Microsoft?
    I do not see why one needs to share any information with Microsoft in order to use Cortana and can not find a way around it.

I may have to go to a 3rd party for voice commands and dictation.
    The idea of Cortana is for it to be an intelligent assistant. This means it needs to learn from what you do and as Microsoft wants Cortana to be accessible from multiple devices, the data is associated with your Microsoft account and stored at Microsoft's servers.

From Microsoft's point of view, this makes total sense. You change a device, Cortana will be ready to be used, without additional learning. If you have a Windows Phone, Cortana will be there with its knowledge of your preferences. Change phone, it will be ready. Change computer, it will be ready.

Cortana is much more than a dictation or voice command tool.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, this is the way the future is going, in order to serve you best, all these apps need as much information about you as possible. If that puts a hitch in your giddy-up one cannot use them or must turn to products that are "dumb" on purpose.

Thanks
    This would be one of those areas where more details are better, and MS doesn't have a very
    good track record with detailed explanations when it comes to some of their newest features.
    If they want people to use and accept these new features they're gonna have to start selling better.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not everyone should be tracked, like my two grand daughters, 12 & 15.

Everything Microsoft is doing has a $ sign behind it.
    It's my guess that the information they are collecting will end up in a marketing company sooner or later.

Why do you think there are no longer any games in Windows 10?
    Could it be that when you download a free game it comes with advertisements and will not play unless you have an internet connection.
    Last edited by RonB-TX; 2015-08-30 at 13:45.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ("dumb" on purpose) sounds like a safer option. At least your personal information is not on line for hackers or the government to have access to.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft will have to be very informative about how and why this data is collected before they can sell me on the invasion of my privacy.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB-TX View Post
    Not everyone should be tracked, like my two grand daughters, 12 & 15.

Everything Microsoft is doing has a $ sign behind it.
    It's my guess that the information they are collecting will end up in a marketing company sooner or later.

Why do you think there are no longer any games in Windows 10?
    Could it be that when you download a free game it comes with advertisements and will not play unless you have an internet connection.
    I use Cortana active on my phone (I'm not on Windows 10 yet) and have yet to receive any marketing from anyone. It is possible to have a conspirative view of things or agree that it makes sense, from a technological point of view, to keep Cortana related info on the cloud. It's not about tracking, really, it is about the most sensible technical option for an assistant designed to be used from multiple devices.

I think mixing the issues with games with these issues is wrong. I don't use Windows games, so I couldn't really care about the games things, but considering this upgrade is being given for free, I don't see an issue with asking for games to be paid, if you want to get rid of advertising. Everything costs money, even to Microsoft. It's just a matter of determining who gets to pay.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Because if your system crashes (as mine did when Win10 first came out), your PC will send the crash report to M$ and they may actually address the issue (as they did in my case; must not have been the only one).