Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Flash or external drives

    I have searched everywhere but cannot find an answer to my question. Maybe you guys can help. I am hoping to find software to update programs on my flash drive. I keep a tool folder with tons of programs to help my relatives on it. Short of Copying them all back onto my main drive and updating them is there another solution? I'm not looking for a Portable App program to allow me to download tools on the drive. They are already there. There are about 9gb total. Short of checking one at a time which would take a long, long, time is there a workaround? I installed an Updater to the flash drive and it only scans the main drive with no other options. Thank you for any help or suggestions.

  2. #2
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 267 Times in 256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shipdog7 View Post
    I have searched everywhere but cannot find an answer to my question. Maybe you guys can help. I am hoping to find software to update programs on my flash drive. I keep a tool folder with tons of programs to help my relatives on it. Short of Copying them all back onto my main drive and updating them is there another solution? I'm not looking for a Portable App program to allow me to download tools on the drive. They are already there. There are about 9gb total. Short of checking one at a time which would take a long, long, time is there a workaround? I installed an Updater to the flash drive and it only scans the main drive with no other options. Thank you for any help or suggestions.
    I too use USB Thumb/Flash drives with diagnostics programs on them and since the programs are not actually installed on the computer Windows doesn't know about them so I have to do manual updates as I use them. I try to use only those programs that don't need installing such as CCleaner Portable. I do have a USB Thumb/Flash drive I've installed the Portable Applications on but haven't had to use it yet.

  3. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I too use USB Thumb/Flash drives with diagnostics programs on them and since the programs are not actually installed on the computer Windows doesn't know about them so I have to do manual updates as I use them. I try to use only those programs that don't need installing such as CCleaner Portable. I do have a USB Thumb/Flash drive I've installed the Portable Applications on but haven't had to use it yet.
    Thanks, since I don't use all of them at any one time I think I will just copy the folder to my main drive and update that way. Copy it back then.
    I have things such as 6 virus programs to run. Unlock tools, UnHackMe, Revo Uninstaller, Repair Windows, NameBench, HDDScan-3.3, 3DP Net detects ethernet card, DnsJumper.exe. WiFi Password Revealer (yes we tend to forget that sometimes)

  4. #4
    WS Lounge VIP Coochin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,363
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 349 Times in 304 Posts
    @ shipdog7

    Have a look at "Personal Backup": http://personal-backup.rathlev-home.de/index-e.html

    Should do what you want once you have configured its settings.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

  5. #5
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,686
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 990 Posts
    If you copy the folder to your hard disk and keep the files updated there, you can use Robocopy to copy the updates to the USB drive.
    Robocopy is built-in to Windows.

    cheers, Paul

  6. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    @ shipdog7

    Have a look at "Personal Backup": http://personal-backup.rathlev-home.de/index-e.html

    Should do what you want once you have configured its settings.
    Thanks but I am not looking for a backup program. I use free Aomei and Macrium to make images and save them on an external drive. They have never failed me.

  7. #7
    Gold Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,521
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 162 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shipdog7 View Post
    I have searched everywhere but cannot find an answer to my question. Maybe you guys can help. I am hoping to find software to update programs on my flash drive. I keep a tool folder with tons of programs to help my relatives on it. Short of Copying them all back onto my main drive and updating them is there another solution? I'm not looking for a Portable App program to allow me to download tools on the drive. They are already there. There are about 9gb total. Short of checking one at a time which would take a long, long, time is there a workaround? I installed an Updater to the flash drive and it only scans the main drive with no other options. Thank you for any help or suggestions.
    I am a bit confused (as usual).
    Is it the case that these are non portable programs just copied to your flash drive? Do they run from another computer booted to Windows on that computer?
    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

  8. #8
    WS Lounge VIP Coochin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,363
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 349 Times in 304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shipdog7 View Post
    Thanks but I am not looking for a backup program...
    It seems you have not bothered to check out what "Personal Backup" can do. Why do I bother?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •