Lounger
    Thanks

Boot Times - Restart vs Power Off/Manual Start

I am wondering why there is a vast difference in Boot time with these two different methods of restarting in Windows 10.

1. From Power Menu - Restart - takes 30 seconds to power off followed by 65 secs to User Logon.

2. From Power Menu - Shut Down - takes 20 secs to power off. Double click powers on again taking 28 secs to User Logon.

It is quite repeatable, but why should this be?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Fast startup (also called Hybrid Shutdown or Hybrid Boot) introduced with Windows 8, applies to Shut down/Power up but not to Restart: Delivering fast boot times in Windows 8

It's a setting at Control Panel, Power Options, System Settings; Turn on fast startup (recommended).

This helps start your PC faster after shutdown. Restart isn't affected.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-08-30 at 08:04.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, BruceR for the explanation and Link.
    So Fast Startup involves a form of Hibernation writing a file and recovering it when you next power-on.

I found 'Fast Startup' is ON by default, and I tried unchecking it and the times for Restart, and Power off/Manual Restart were then much the same at about 100secs.

For Windows 10:-
    Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings > 'Choose What the Power Buttons do'

Then click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' to allow a change to 'Turn on fast startup (Recommended)' in Shutdown settings.

Then 'Save changes.'

I had noticed that Windows updates had not been 'taking' with a Shutdown and Manual Restart. I guess this explains why.
    Always do a Restart to update Windows Update.