Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Disk

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Check Disk

I have an external drive that is in ex-Fat format. I tried running check disk on the drive, but it only gets as far as saying checking files and folders, and then nothing seems to happen. Is it possible to run check disk on the drive?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Open a Command prompt in admin mode. In the example, G is the drive letter of the hard drive. Substitute the correct letter.

run: CHKDSK G: /R

If that doesn't work, try converting to NTFS first.

convert G: /FS:NTFS

You should back up your files first - just in case. If you need to run CHKDSK because of a problem, its a good idea to do it anyway.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should always let chkdsk run to completion. The hard disk light should continue to flash madly whilst it's running.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You should always let chkdsk run to completion. The hard disk light should continue to flash madly whilst it's running.
    +1 on letting it run to completion. I have let it run overnight in times past.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Calimanco, I knew the chkdsk command, but thanks anyway.

The computer shop where I bought the drive explained why I can't convert it to NTFS, as follows:

"I’m afraid that cannot be done. The NAS device is a standalone computer in its own right and it’s operating system only supports Ex-Fat. The reason why they build them like this is to enable them to be compatible with a whole variety of systems and not just Windows. I understand the logic, you can have a household these days that might have a combination of PCs, Macs and several different types of tablets."

Check disk on the drive still shows no sign of any activity, and the drive light is not flashing. Should I continue to let it run, if indeed it is running?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You cannot run chkdsk on a NAS, so don't bother.
    You should be able to connect to the management interface on the NAS and run diags from there.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    ...The NAS device is a standalone computer in its own right and it’s operating system only supports Ex-Fat...
    As PaulT says in his #6 post "You cannot run chkdsk on a NAS, so don't bother".

Your NAS should have come with at least a user manual, and possibly a management utility for installation on your PC, on a CD. The management utility should allow you to check the HDD for errors. If not look in the user manual for info about checking the disk.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul and Coochin,

I wish I had seen your replies before check disk finally completed!

The following is an extract from the message I sent to the computer technician who sold me the drive before I saw your replies:

"I ran check disk with the f and r parameters on the disk, and I had to let it run for some hours yesterday and then overnight before it finally completed some time this morning.

The results are shown in the attached screenshot and I am puzzled about two things. Firstly, the size of the 117 files referred to is shown as greater than the total disk space. Secondly, the allocation units available on the disk is shown as zero.

I would appreciate your comments on the above, and more worryingly the disk space on the drive is now shown in Computer and Disk Management as zero, and Windows keeps pointing this out. I don’t understand where the missing space has gone. Before I ran check disk there was around 3.75 Terabytes free."

The screenshot referred to is attached.

I do not have a user manual or an installation CD for the NAS, but will contact the manufacturer about them.

In the meantime what can I do to recover the 3.75 Terabytes of free space that was on the drive before running check disk?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by royw; 2015-09-01 at 08:06.

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Without knowing what the NAS is I don't know what to suggest.
    What does Windows Explorer say about the space on the NAS? Right click, Properties.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    What is the make and model of the external drive?

How is it connected?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The NAS model is IB-NAS5520 manufactured by Raidsonic, and for what it's worth the computer tech who set it up configured it as RAID LARGE, so that Windows would recognize all the 6 TB of space on the drive, treating it as one large drive.

Explorer and Disk Management show the space on the NAS as zero.

Further comments would be appreciated.

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, I hadn't seen your post #10 when I posted #11.

The NAS is connected via USB.

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suggest you return it from whence it came and get them to fix it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    bbearren, I hadn't seen your post #10 when I posted #11.

The NAS is connected via USB.
    Typically NAS (Network Addressed Storage) is connected via Ethernet, not USB. A USB connection makes it local/external, and that's why you could run CHKDSK on it. My NAS is connected via Ethernet, and while Explorer can see it, Disk Management cannot.

I concur with Paul; take it back.

Unleash Windows

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I discovered that the website to download the user manual from is not the manufacturer's website but a login portal address printed on the bottom of the NAS. The manual said that to get to the disk management utility I had to login to that website with the MAC address of the NAS, said to be printed on the bottom of the NAS or on the box it came in, and the user name and password admin. I could not find the MAC address in either place, but eventually realised the server name, which is on the bottom of the NAS, and the MAC address, are one and the same, and I was then able to format the disk. Before doing so I cut and pasted all my backups of my other drives from the NAS to another external drive, then formatted the NAS disk, and then cut and pasted all the backups back to the NAS drive. The pasting took a very long time, but all the Macrium backups mounted successfully, and I have been able to perform up to date incremental backups.

A lot of work, and needless to say I will never again run check disk on the NAS drive while it's connected via USB.

I am still leaving the NAS drive connected via USB because if I connect it via a network cable to my router I don't know how to connect it to the network, so I can't access the drive, and if someone can tell me how to do this I would be grateful.

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast