Thanks

Modern vs legacy browsers

This article http://www.infoworld.com/article/293...r-inroads.html refers to Internet Explorer as a legacy browser that it implies is not able to run some apps like the "modern" browsers can. I've got 4 browsers on my computer, but other than occasional compatibility issues on some sites, and display differences on some sites, I've been unaware that IE was unable to run any apps that the others could. The article does not provide any specifics on this. What are some apps that IE is unable to run?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It really depends. Usually the reference is to enterprises apps that, sometime ago, were designed with IE support in mind. That is not the case, these days. Although IE started to be more standards compliant from IE 9 and beyond, IE was never an example of compatibility with Web standards. I guess what the article means is that IE 11 will be left to be compatible with the legacy apps, made with IE as the main target, with IE specificities, while Edge will be free of that load.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Compatibility was never the main problem with I.E.
    But security certainly was, and still is in most peoples view.
    I have not used it in many years, just for that very reason.

You really shouldn't need 4 browsers! I certainly don't, since I started using Firefox, back in the Beta Testing days. I go wherever I want and do what I want with Never a Problem.

Good Luck to you,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    OK thank you both for the info.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    ...What are some apps that IE is unable to run?...
    The "apps" in the InfoWorld.com article linked in your #1 post are clearly "web apps" (i.e.: applications that run on a remote server via the Internet or a corporate/enterprise intranet) not "apps" that run on client computers.

Applications that run on a remote server must be coded by the application's developer(s) for compatibility with one-or-more browsers. If the code of the web app doesn't include provision for a particular browser then it is probable that browser won't work properly with the web app.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    OK thanks Coochin.