Thread: Some questions

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some questions

Some questions:

1) Where is the help file for the forums? The FAQ isn't of much help.

2) How does a thread get marked "[solved]"?

3) In a forum's listing of threads, some topics are bolded, some not. What's the distinction?

4) What is the function of the little white boxes at the left of each post's date and time?

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    2. Select the Solved button in the thread you have created.
    3. Unread posts are bold.
    4. I can't see any white boxes. Can you post a screen shot?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the FAQs pretty much cover it; if there's anything specific you want to know, this is the place to ask, as you have done. There are also several sticky threads you may want to look through.

The "little white boxes" are simply an icon representing a post; if you look closely, one corner is folded down.

Thanks
    2) How does a thread get marked "[solved]"?

3) In a forum's listing of threads, some topics are bolded, some not. What's the distinction?
    Thread Tools>choose solved ( you will only have that option on threads that you have created )
    Bolded threads are one's that you haven't read yet or have new post's after you have read them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Bolded threads are one's that you haven't read yet or have new post's after you have read them.
    This doesn't seem to be the case: for example, in the Win 7 Forum, there are a great number of not-bolded threads that I haven't read.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    4. I can't see any white boxes. Can you post a screen shot?
    little white box.jpg

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    White boxes next to the date in a thread are blue in my FF. It's just an icon, looks nice, maybe.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I've not noticed these before, but in my FF they change from blue to white when I've read that post. And there's a link to the first unread post at the top of the thread, which disappears when they've all been read (can't test it, as I have no more unread threads!). Is this new, I can't say I've noticed these before.

7zuki, if I have unbolded threads, then they have been read. I did notice though that when I looked at the lounge when I hadn't logged in (on someone else's PC) they were all unbolded; is this the cause? If not then I can't explain why you have this behaviour.

Just noticed the last para in this FAQ. Perhaps that's why many are marked as read.
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2015-09-01 at 07:16. Reason: Found more info

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7zuki View Post
    This doesn't seem to be the case: for example, in the Win 7 Forum, there are a great number of not-bolded threads that I haven't read.
    Are you logged in when it shows all threads as not-bolded? If you are not logged in, all threads will look the same ( not-bolded, as access-mdb mentioned ). Once logged in, after reading a thread and refreshing the page, you will see that the thread you read will be un-bolded unless there is a new post in it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb

I'm always logged in.

It seems that threads become un-bolded to me in 2 ways:

1) When I open a thread (whether reading it or not), then either immediately or later return to the list of threads, with the list refreshed, unless there is a new post in the thread.

2) When the last post to the thread is more than d days and h hours old -- upon examining the Win 10 and Win 7 forum thread lists, d and h appear to be 9 and 0 respectively.
    Last edited by 7zuki; 2015-09-01 at 12:19.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7zuki View Post
    I'm always logged in.

It seems that threads become un-bolded to me in 2 ways:

1) When I open a thread (whether reading it or not), then either immediately or later return to the list of threads, with the list refreshed.

2) When the last post to the thread is more than d days and h hours old -- upon examining the Win 10 and Win 7 forum thread lists, d and h appear to be 9 and 0 respectively.
    Well 1) is normal usage. It won't know you haven't read it. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that threads are unbolded if they are opened whether you read them or not.

See the link in #8, this explains what's happening in your 2)