Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need Help with VirtualBox/Linux

I am moving from my old PC running Vista to a new laptop running Win8.1. One old program on the Vista machine that I don't want to give up will not install on Win8.1 so I decided to install Virtualbox on the laptop and install Linux (Ubuntu) as the operating system in the virtual box and install the old program in there. I have the VB working and Linux working but I have a problem installing the old program. The old program is on a CD and my laptop does not have a CD/DVD drive so when installing other CD-based programs I have been using the drive on the Vista machine and connecting to it via my home Wi-Fi network. That has worked fine until now. From inside the VB Linux can connect to the internet OK (via my network) but it cannot connect to the Vista machine.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what I need to do to get at the contents of that CD.

Thanks,
    Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Convert the CD to an ISO, then attach the ISO to the VM.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    You are trying to run a windows program from a Linux VB?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    You are trying to run a windows program from a Linux VB?
    Yes, I thought Linux supported Windows programs?

If that isn't possible, is there any other operating system short of Windows itself that can run a Windows program? I don't have a Windows program that I can use in the VB.

Bill

Thanks
    There is something called WINE that offers some options, but I would not call it trivial to implement if you are not already familiar w/ Linux. I have used WINE but am no up to speed for any help in that regard.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Convert the CD to an ISO, then attach the ISO to the VM. . .
    Paul, I see my reply to your message isn't in the thread so I didn't get it posted properly! Thanks for the info. I was able to create the ISO file but I keep running into instructions that use words that I don't understand! The instructions that I found on installing an ISO file said to 'mount' it but I don't know how to do that. Maybe it won't matter if a Windows program will not run on Linux!

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    wavy, thanks for the info on Wine. Is that a version of Linux or a completely different program?

Thanks,
    Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To use the ISO you need to connect it with VirtualBox. Once you have done that Linux should see it as another disk.

Wine is a Windows emulator that runs in Linux.

Why don't you convert the old Vista hard disk to a Virtual Hard Disk and use that in the VM?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    To use the ISO you need to connect it with VirtualBox. Once you have done that Linux should see it as another disk.

Wine is a Windows emulator that runs in Linux.

Why don't you convert the old Vista hard disk to a Virtual Hard Disk and use that in the VM?

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul, for clarifying where Wine fits into the possible picture.

I've read through the VHD info you provided the link for and I certainly should be able to create a VHD from the old disk. I'm not clear how that helps my situation! Wouldn't the VHD just be used in place of the ISO I created for installing the old program? If the old Windows program won't install and run in Linux I still need to install Wine or find a legal version of Windows to install, right? I have had a version of WinXP in an old computer that has been scrapped. I might be able to use that if I can find the license code and a source for the OS.

Thanks,
    Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can run a VM in W8.1 and therefore your old program. You don't need to give it network access so no viruses and you save the data to a shared drive in W8.1.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have luck with Windows XPMode running in Windows 8.1 using either VMWarePlayer or VirtualBox. Two links with instructions for each for W8 but fingers crossed, work in 8.1 as well.

http://www.howtogeek.com/171395/how-to-get-windows-xp-mode-on-windows-8/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/forget-end-life-woes-windows-8-xp-mode/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use VMware Player in W8.1 with no issues.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul and F.U.N., this looks like the solution to my problem. I'll get to work on it and see if I run into any problems.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I've made some good progress but I've run into a problem again! I decided to use F.U.N.'s 2nd suggestion because I haven't been able to find a WinXP disc or License string and the 2nd suggestion involves using the Windows XP Mode from Microsoft. Near the end of installing WinXP Mode into Virtualbox I was prompted to Agree with the License Agreement but I can't move the mouse cursor inside the VB window! In other words I haven't been able to find a way to click on I Agree. I didn't have any problem moving the cursor into the VB window back when I installed Linux in a VB window. I have not installed VB's Guest Additions.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI, I got past that problem and seem to have WinXP Mode fully installed. Do I need to have Internet access in order to get any updates that are not in the WinXP Mode I installed?

I'll try to install my old program next.

The VB screen size is way too small so I also need to find how to make it larger.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast