Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Secrets Promotes Another Scam

Windows Secrets sends out a flyer every couple of weeks called Win Deals. The flyer offers supposedly offers a deal on some piece of software. Recently they sent out one offering a duplicate file finder for free. There's no mention whatsoever of any limitations or costs involved. If you download and run the free software it searches and finds duplicate copies of photos, documents, etc. When it comes to removing those duplicate files to free up space that's where the catch comes in. The program may find dozens, hundreds or even thousands of duplicates but it will only remove 10 or 20 items unless you go back to their website and BUY the FULL VERSION. Today's flyer is another cleverly worded come-on for a program called Driver Agent which checks your computer to see if all your drivers are up to date. Then it shows a report with a link beside outdated drivers. To get the latest driver click on the link. But, wait - it's another scam. You'll have to BUY the FULL VERSION to update all your drivers. These Win Deals software offers should state clearly up front that there is a substantial cost involved, but they omit any mention of this in their advertising. Windows Secrets is, shamefully, a party to this DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING. It's simply not good enough to say "Caveat emptor" and leave it at that. It's not enough to say you can unsubscribe from the Win Deals flyer as i just did. Windows Secrets' integrity is clearly undermined by their willing participation in these sleazy deceptive sales tactics. Come on, Windows Secrets, are you really that desperate for a little extra revenue that you continue to allow such scams to continue?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2015-09-01),lumpy95 (2015-09-01)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    We have no control over the newsletter or any email. Please use the "Contact" tab at the top to register your displeasure with the editors.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    We have no control over the newsletter or any email. Please use the "Contact" tab at the top to register your displeasure with the editors.

Joe
    OK, i did.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    a flyer called Win Deals. The flyer supposedly offers a deal on some piece of software
    And you didn't smell a rat?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    And you didn't smell a rat?

cheers, Paul
    LOL - yes, i smelled a rat on "deals" like this years ago and try to warn unsuspecting friends before they get sucked into these semi-scams. But, i was frankly surprised and disappointed that Windows Secrets would put their name on deceptive advertising.

Thanks
    Windows Secrets sends out a flyer every couple of weeks called Win Deals
    I find it interesting that you receive these "Flyers" since I have been with WS for many years and have never received one.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I find it interesting that you receive these "Flyers" since I have been with WS for many years and have never received one.
    I find it interesting that you don't remember Windows Secrets offering to send you Win Deals flyers on an opt-in / click here to subscribe basis.

" You are receiving the WinDeals Newsletter because you opted-in at WindowsSecrets.com. WinDeals brings you occasional discounts and offers from Windows Secrets, its advertisers and its partners.

As a subscriber to WinDeals, we want to pass on this exclusive offer to you. "
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 2015-09-01 at 14:17. Reason: added text from WinDeals flyer

Thanks
    Hmmm, maybe dementia is setting in because I don't remember getting any opt in to win deals. Maybe I unchecked a box on my last renewal for the paid newsletter?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's difficult to find, but you say Yes or No at http://windowssecrets.com/windealsprefs/

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Anak (2015-11-12),Dick-Y (2015-09-01)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It's difficult to find, but you say Yes or No at http://windowssecrets.com/windealsprefs/
    Evidently you have to click on something to bring that page up because I have never seen that page before. Lucky me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello starvinmarvin,
    All publications require revenue, of course, but as is customary, the editors of Windows Secrets don't get to choose, vet, or veto the advertising schemes arranged on the newsletter's behalf. The corollary to this rule is that the ad sales team don't get to choose, vet, or veto our stories in the newsletter. You and I might agree that some products and deals are bad and some are good, but naturally, because I am an editor, I am not consulted about advertising deals in advance. I can and do report subscriber reactions to advertising campaigns after they appear and have passed along your comments that came to me in email this morning and as they appear in this post.
    If you can think of good, reliable, transparent (honest, of course) ways to support publications that avoid advertising, someone will name you genius.
    Kathleen

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-09-02)

Thanks
    I agree with starvinmarvin that implying the software is free then saying it will cost isn't a very good marketing ploy. If I downloaded the software then found I needed to pay for it to get full use, then I'm not going to buy it. If, on the other hand, I know how much it will cost to use it fully (or after a period) I'm more likely to buy it.

Apart from the above, I've no problem receiving these emails other than the fact that all the offers are for the USA, and are priced in dollars.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post
    Hello starvinmarvin,
    All publications require revenue, of course, but as is customary, the editors of Windows Secrets don't get to choose, vet, or veto the advertising schemes arranged on the newsletter's behalf. The corollary to this rule is that the ad sales team don't get to choose, vet, or veto our stories in the newsletter. You and I might agree that some products and deals are bad and some are good, but naturally, because I am an editor, I am not consulted about advertising deals in advance. I can and do report subscriber reactions to advertising campaigns after they appear and have passed along your comments that came to me in email this morning and as they appear in this post.
    If you can think of good, reliable, transparent (honest, of course) ways to support publications that avoid advertising, someone will name you genius.
    Kathleen
    It seems as though you're trying to tell us that ALL publications have no say in their advertisements. I can't believe that is true.

What exactly was "this exclusive offer" sent to many of us from windowssecrets.com today?

This software has been a scam for ten years.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As an update, I can report that product managers are looking carefully, this afternoon, at this advertising offering and others, and I expect to see changes.
    BruceR, I can't report on what ALL publications do about advertising--only that it's common practice to keep a moat between the business and editorial sides of a publication.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2015-09-01)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Windows Secrets sends out a flyer every couple of weeks called Win Deals?
    Starvin if you read these forums (at least the parts I keep up w/) you will read numerous posters saying not to put products advertized here in any special regard. It is just some thing we live w/.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast