Thread: Computer name

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer name

When taking the upgrade route to Windows 10, the Computer Name and Full Computer Name were changed to a Windows-generated name, even though it is still the same computer.

Now I appear to be getting ‘invalid serial number’ and 'no such location' messages and that sort of thing from one recently-updated (and valuable) backup program, and I am left to wonder if this is a result of the name change, and how risky it is to change it back to the previous name.

If the name matters, then any number of program installations may be at risk.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should be able to change the name to whatever you wish without affecting programs.

Which program is having trouble?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You should be able to change the name to whatever you wish without affecting programs.

Which program is having trouble?

Joe
    Thanks for the help Joe. Some simple change like a computer name might have untold consequences for all I know, so it really helps to have someone say it's OK.

The program was Acronis TI 2016, and for some odd reason it gives the message, when the backup ends, 'The specified file does not exist'. I don't know what file is intended, but the image itself appears to be valid, with the file in the proper place, and the imaging process normal until it ends with that message. On non-Win 10 computers the message has not appeared. I'll have to try it some more to be sure it can be replicated before I call it a bug.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Sorry, I don't use TI. Maybe someone who is more conversant with it will chime in.

Joe

Thanks
    You could also try setting up a new backup process. If all else fails, contact Acronis support

Jerry