New Lounger
    Thanks

Access denied to 'Application Data' folder

I am unable to get access to the users\<userID>\Application Data folder. My user is an administrator. When I look at the security properties for the folder I see my Microsoft account info with full control. My Microsoft account is also the owner of the folder. What do I have to do to gain access to this folder?

When I first upgraded to Windows 10 (from 8.1) I was using a local user account instead of a Microsoft account. A few weeks after the upgrade I decided to change to a Microsoft account. I don't know if I had access to the Application Data folder prior to this. I didn't have a need to look into that folder until after I changed accounts.

Thanks for the help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The "Application data" folder is not a real folder, just a link to "App Data", but left there to provide backward compatibility for install programs that still look for "Application Data". Though you may not have noticed it, things have been thus since Vista took over from Win XP.

Thanks
    Every so often I post the "User Profiles where Documents and Settings folders are now located in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008" file, which would assist with your and other associated questions of this nature.

Please do not be tempted to change permissions on these Junctions, otherwise unhappiness will occur...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I find the easiest way to access it is to open Windows Explorer and type this in the location box: %appdata%

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

still having problems

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I find the easiest way to access it is to open Windows Explorer and type this in the location box: %appdata%

cheers, Paul

well if i type that in (it worked before) i get an error message saying "access to C:\Users\test\AppData\Roaming has been denied"

Thanks
    If Windows 10 acts similar to Windows 7 concerning AppData folder -- I found easier to use Explorer.exe's left side menu to tree-climb and reach desired folders. Within Users [account name] section, you will run across many junctions, off-limits, denied, etc. As a previous poster indicated: grief comes from attempting changing in those junctions. I add: one of the fastest way to reach for your OS backups or your OS install DVD is attempting to change Windows Prime operations in that section.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-06-19 at 05:11.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheSide View Post
    well if i type that in (it worked before) i get an error message saying "access to C:\Users\test\AppData\Roaming has been denied"
    Try Control Panel > File Explorer Options > View Tab Then
    Set the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives radio button
    Uncheck Hide protected operating system files
    Click on apply

Retry Paul's command.

Jerry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could try it via the command line.
    1. Right click the Windows flag and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. type: dir %appdata%

You should get a listing of the files / folders.

cheers, Paul