New Lounger
    Thanks

Failure to configure

Hi. I am having a lot of problems with my 32-bit Windows 7. I keep trying to install updates and it keeps saying Failure to configure updates...reverting changes. I have tried everything I have found on the net (mostly unchecking all updates and then checking 1 at a time), but I still get the message. It did end up updating to 7%, but then it always goes back to the failure to configure message. I am having problems also trying to get my HP 6500A plus officejet printer/scanner/copier/faxer to be added. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the update problem, but I have a sneaking suspicion it does. Also, if you all are kind enough to help me, I would need step-by-step instructions. Thanks for any help!!

Thanks
    Welcome to the Windows Secrets Lounge!

The first thing I would do would be to create a new user account, and then log in as that user. Then try doing the updates and the HP install logged in as that user.

If this fixes things, then the profile for your normal user account is somehow corrupt.

The easiest fix, then, would be to just keep using the new user account, thereby bypassing the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Failure

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Welcome to the Windows Secrets Lounge!

The first thing I would do would be to create a new user account, and then log in as that user. Then try doing the updates and the HP install logged in as that user.

If this fixes things, then the profile for your normal user account is somehow corrupt.

The easiest fix, then, would be to just keep using the new user account, thereby bypassing the problem.
    Well I tried that and it did not work either

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's possible the two could be connected.

Is your clock showing the correct time ?

MS has a Fixit for installing/uninstalling problems which you could try. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/..._and_uninstall

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is showing the correct time. I will try that. Thanks again!

Thanks
    @ missjenn

Install the "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821)" from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=3132 (Win7 32bit).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Got that installed. Now I go ahead and try installing the updates?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wonder if it's a msi.dll/Windows Installer problem but I would have expected that MS Fixit to have sorted that and you would normally get an error message to the effect that there was a problem with msi.dll

Nevertheless, have a look through this article to see if any of the steps help if the System Update Readiness Tool doesn't do it. http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/mi...ystem/msi-dll/

EDIT - Yes to your last question.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by missjenn View Post
    Hi. I am having a lot of problems with my 32-bit Windows 7. I keep trying to install updates and it keeps saying Failure to configure updates...reverting changes. I have tried everything I have found on the net (mostly unchecking all updates and then checking 1 at a time), but I still get the message. It did end up updating to 7%, but then it always goes back to the failure to configure message. I am having problems also trying to get my HP 6500A plus officejet printer/scanner/copier/faxer to be added. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the update problem, but I have a sneaking suspicion it does. Also, if you all are kind enough to help me, I would need step-by-step instructions. Thanks for any help!!
    When you are done with your computer for the day, what do you do? Do you leave it running, or put it to sleep, or do you shut it down? If you shut it down, stop reading now.

If you leave it running or put it to sleep, have you tried shutting it down, and restarting?

This has less than a 50% chance of fixing your problem, but it is easy to do, and it will fix more things than you would expect.