Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Strange font issue only in certain windows

    Hi,
    A colleague of mine has had an annoying problem on his PC for a while now and we can't seem to find a solution to it.
    The machine he uses is a Dell Precision 470 workstation with 1GB memory, 160GB sata HDD, and 1x Intel Xeon 3.2GHz cpu running Win XP pro. It was originally bought as a Solidworks (3D CAD) workstation, but has been drafted into other uses along the way.
    Onto the problem. In certain windows the font seems to be corrupt (See attached pdf's). As you can see from the pdf's some of the message is legible and the other part isn't. The two programs where this happens are Solidworks and Corel Draw. Both programs have been uninstalled and reinstalled using either the uninstaller that came with the program or windows' own Add/Remove feature. CCleaner was used before reinstallation to see if there were any issues, which there didn't appear to be any.
    The weird thing is that I run an identical machine, albeit without Corel and the problem doesn't occur.
    I don't have a lot of experience with fonts, so all we have done is do a side by side comparison of the fonts on my machine and my colleagues machine using the windows character map.
    This problem is not a show stopper, but is pretty annoying as you can imagine.
    As this is a work machine, a solution without any registry editing would be preferred, but I acknowledge this is not always possible.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,745
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 648 Times in 571 Posts
    No PDFs attached.

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GunterKruse View Post
    Hi,
    A colleague of mine has had an annoying problem on his PC for a while now and we can't seem to find a solution to it.
    The machine he uses is a Dell Precision 470 workstation with 1GB memory, 160GB sata HDD, and 1x Intel Xeon 3.2GHz cpu running Win XP pro. It was originally bought as a Solidworks (3D CAD) workstation, but has been drafted into other uses along the way.
    Onto the problem. In certain windows the font seems to be corrupt (See attached pdf's). As you can see from the pdf's some of the message is legible and the other part isn't. The two programs where this happens are Solidworks and Corel Draw. Both programs have been uninstalled and reinstalled using either the uninstaller that came with the program or windows' own Add/Remove feature. CCleaner was used before reinstallation to see if there were any issues, which there didn't appear to be any.
    The weird thing is that I run an identical machine, albeit without Corel and the problem doesn't occur.
    I don't have a lot of experience with fonts, so all we have done is do a side by side comparison of the fonts on my machine and my colleagues machine using the windows character map.
    This problem is not a show stopper, but is pretty annoying as you can imagine.
    As this is a work machine, a solution without any registry editing would be preferred, but I acknowledge this is not always possible.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    GunterKruse,

    Would you post a screen shot of the problem as it occurs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,745
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 648 Times in 571 Posts
    Isn't 1GB RAM remarkably low for a 3D CAD workstation, even on XP?

  5. #5
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    I'm pretty confident that the amount of RAM is not causing the font issue.

  6. #6
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Solidworks is a vector graphics program (as opposed to bitmapped graphics like paint programs). I believe, but am not 100% sure, that Corel Draw also is vector. Vector software fonts are not bitmapped as in ordinary Windows software (Word, Excel, etc.).

    Bitmapped fonts look the same everywhere on the same, or other computers, that have the fonts installed. (C:\windows\fonts)

    Your particular problem - may - be that the two programs create and/or interpret their vector fonts differently. That could make them appear differently in environments other than the ones where the drawings were created.

    As a first step, I suggest you google this to death, since their resources are much larger than here.

    You could also try to get answers from Solidworks and Corel. (good luck with that)

    Sending a pdf of the problem will just add another complicating factor to diagnosing the issue, since the printer's interpretation of the vector fonts may not appear like the screens at all.

    That is because the thickness of a vector outline is technically - zero, and that includes fonts.

    Sending screen shots (jpg, bmp, gif, etc) would be better.

    Our engineering department took it upon themselves to do a manual (lots of text plus cad drawings) using AutoCad. The drawings were great, the fonts - odd and awful.

    They clearly illustrated the truth of the old saying:
    To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    Or the variation: If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    (More proof - they also use Access to do simple tables with text.)

    It's hard to do a good job using the wrong tools.

    Happy hunting.
    Last edited by UncleStu; 2015-09-03 at 15:25. Reason: grammar

  7. #7
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    557
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 68 Times in 66 Posts
    Last time I had a weird font problem, it took a complete Windows reinstall to cure it. This was a long time ago mind you but the font system has hardly changed at all since then.

    For instance there are no "font diagnostic modes", no font wizards, no Sysinternals Font Monitor. The font subsystem is deeply integrated into Windows and typically it either works or it does not. It normally runs almost invisibly.

  8. #8
    5 Star Lounger Lugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    619
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 75 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleStu View Post
    I believe, but am not 100% sure, that Corel Draw also is vector.
    You are correct, CorelDraw is vector.

  9. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    First the fonts are already installed, maybe just the files are corrupt. You can also install them. For that you just open control panel, fonts, then select the fonts you want to install from the other folder, and pull and drop them into the control panel fonts. If this does not work then the files are actually corrupted. Look at this reputable source also. http://www.fixya.com/support/t252805...aw_x6_problems

  10. #10
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you all for your advice! The issue has been resolved.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,745
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 648 Times in 571 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GunterKruse View Post
    Thank you all for your advice! The issue has been resolved.
    Would you care to tell us how? (As a bunch of heads were scratched on your behalf!)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •