Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

clean install Windows 10 without upgrade first

There's a workaround to enable a clean install without first upgrading. See How to directly clean install Windows 10 without upgrading first for details.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's not a well written article, takes several reads to make sense of the procedure. Pity the author didn't bother to test it first to see if it works.
    "Shiwangi is a qualified writer". I wonder what that means?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    "Shiwangi is a qualified writer". I wonder what that means?

cheers, Paul
    Someone taught him to write perhaps?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anything that is prefaced by, "Although we have not tried this method..." does not inspire me to full confidence.

Thanks
    I don't see a problem with the article.
    The "reddit user" is obviously someone who has more tech/computer skills than your average shrub.
    This would not be something an averag user would want to undertake, especially those types that would not have thought to do an OS image backup.

If you have been experiencing issues with the upgrade install, it might be just simpler to effect a clean install from the OS's
    settings section after the fact.
    It's fully worth the time and effort to at least check out the upgraded W10 installation first prior to deciding on a clean install.
    It is possible to get an idea of what is and isn't working in terms of personal settings and applications.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a middle ground here. If you are having trouble getting the upgrade to work then you can download the ISO file and burn it to a disk or to a flash drive. Actually if you use the app (Media Creation Tool) that Microsoft provides to download the ISO image, you can also do an upgrade directly. In any case you can upgrade your current edition of Win7/8 and convert your previous license to a Win10 license. Then you can do a clean install and you license information for that machine will be retained on Microsoft servers.