Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,588
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

    Free data transfer progam for Windows 10 machines

    Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to bring PCmover Express. See Move your files, folders, and more, for free for more information and download link.

    Joe

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

    Dick-Y (2016-07-28),mfstout (2016-08-02)

  3. #2
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,191
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 985 Times in 915 Posts
    Could have done with that years ago!

    cheers, Paul

  4. #3
    WS Lounge VIP access-mdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,725
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 156 Times in 149 Posts
    Note that it says 'free for a limited time'. So does that mean it's free for, say, one month, then it will cost? A bit like Win 10. Or is it free for a while, then you will have to pay to continue using it? I didn't read any further after reading that, and I don't have a need for it anyway.

  5. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,588
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Look at the bottom of the page. It says "Free download available from September 1, 2015 through August 31, 2016."

    Joe

  6. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 80 Times in 78 Posts
    Suggest make this a sticky.

    Zig

  7. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Not sure I understand the usefulness of this. It says the two computers have to both be connected to the internet. So, the files and folders are getting transferred through somebody's servers (privacy & security issues?) and are being uploaded then downloaded at what will likely be slow speeds compared to using a USB 3.0 external drive. Seems a bit of a gimmick to me. I'll just copy the files/folders to an external drive, plug it in to the new computer, copy what I want and viola! - fast and secure transfer. What am I missing? What's the "and more" they mentioned. I don't see any info about what that means....

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevescomputer For This Useful Post:

    beachboybogart (2015-11-10)

  9. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,750
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 650 Times in 573 Posts
    Free support 24x7?

    The software does allow anyone to transfer files from old to new PC or OS without any additional hardware or services, or any previous experience. But I think few will use it.

  10. #8
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Brings back memories. I purchased Laplink kit in about 1985. Kit included software, Serial and parallel cables for sending data between computers. Well made, ran in DOS of course as no Windows yet. Relatively fast using parallel cable, very slow with serial cable.
    Bob C.

  11. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevescomputer View Post
    So, the files and folders are getting transferred through somebody's servers (privacy & security issues?) and are being uploaded then downloaded at what will likely be slow speeds compared to using a USB 3.0 external drive.
    Maybe because it's free?
    I know that other transfer tools (such as Zinstall for example, which I personally prefer) can go locally via a cable, or even using a USB drive. Very fast, and no privacy concerns.

  12. #10
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware, US
    Posts
    1,171
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 99 Times in 88 Posts
    Unlike some past programs, it does not attempt to move your apps or your app settings, just files. While it's nice that they are offering this, it's just one of many ways to move files. And I'm not sure I would put it at or near the top of the list.

    <on soapbox>
    One of the great mistakes in Windows is the use of the registry for storing app specific settings because it makes moving them to a new computer nearly impossible. The same thing can be done with INI files which are portable.

    What's ironic is that for a long time the Windows SDK recommended INI files and localized DLL's. Something that MS completely ignored in it's own programs.
    <off soapbox>
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-11-04 at 08:48.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

    beachboybogart (2015-11-10)

  14. #11
    Silver Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,377
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    <on soapbox>
    One of the great mistakes in Windows is the use of the registry for storing app specific settings because it makes moving them to a new computer nearly impossible. The same thing can be done with INI files which are portable.

    What's ironic is that for a long time the Windows SDK recommended INI files and localized DLL's. Something that MS completely ignored in it's own programs.
    <off soapbox>
    Not a mistake a business choice perhaps.
    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

  15. #12
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stevescomputer View Post
    Not sure I understand the usefulness of this. It says the two computers have to both be connected to the internet. So, the files and folders are getting transferred through somebody's servers (privacy & security issues?) and are being uploaded then downloaded at what will likely be slow speeds compared to using a USB 3.0 external drive. Seems a bit of a gimmick to me. I'll just copy the files/folders to an external drive, plug it in to the new computer, copy what I want and viola! - fast and secure transfer. What am I missing? What's the "and more" they mentioned. I don't see any info about what that means....
    You can use a high-speed transfer cable to connect the two computers.

    You can get one for about $5 U.S. (included with the paid version of PCMover).

    That's what I used when I transferred an XP desktop to a Win 7 laptop.

    Worked well.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-09 at 17:23.

  16. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,750
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 650 Times in 573 Posts
    ... and even without a cable, it uses local wi-fi from old PC to new PC.

    The internet stipulation only seems to be for activation/registration (probably to ensure non-commercial use), and it doesn't use a cloud server for the file transfers.

  17. #14
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Is that support transfer OS to ssd? i do not want to reinstalling windows.

  18. #15
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,191
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 985 Times in 915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tchan View Post
    Is that support transfer OS to ssd?
    No, it is not a hard disk clone program. If you want to replace your HDD with an SSD you should read this thread.
    Checking TRIM after an upgrade.

    cheers, Paul

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •