Lounger
    Thanks

Dual boot system: internet is fine in one, but flaky in the other

I have a dual-boot system, with Windows 8 Pro x64 and Windows 7 Pro x64. I'm actually moving to Windows 7 instead of Windows 10! [FYI: That's because I waste too much time playing games. A program called K9 Web Protection is excellent for blocking access to websites with games. But it does nothing to block the Windows Store, with its thousands of free games. There are other tools to block Windows Store, but they all assume the user does not have Administrator privileges. K9 blocks even administrators; it's great!... but only in Windows 7 and lower.] But I digress...

As I was saying, this system dual boots. So the same hardware is used for both operating systems: same router with the same configuration (2 Wire Gateway 2701HG-G)), same wireless adapter (DLink DWA-130), and so on. In Windows 8, the internet works fine. In Windows 7, the internet is irregular. I may start out fine, and then stop loading websites and exchanging emails. Or the other way around. Sometimes I can get a website to load after clicking "refresh" several times; more often not at all.

UPDATE: Here's the real clue: When I start Windows 7 in "Safe mode with networking", the internet is perfect. Now if I can just figure out what I'm doing wrong!

I realize that the most difficult problems to diagnose are the irregular kind, whether it's computers, cars or the human body. I appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Use the Clean Boot diagnostic procedure:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Jerry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is it K9 playing up?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both for your helpful replies. Testing the CleanBoot procedure is going to take a while, when I have time. I'll report back what I find.