New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot stop Windows 10 Upgrade during updates

I installed Win10, then reverted back to Win7. My Win 7 update will not work without downloading Win 10 first.
    Despite looking all over the internet, trying anything that might work, I cannot stop Win10 from downloading before I am able to update my windows 7. I've deleted KB files that were supposed to stop this but it didn't. I had Win 10 hidden, but that didn't stop it. Now all the updates affiliated with the Win10 download have reappeared to be updated.

I found this in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\GWX\Reservation
    Default (value not set)
    Reservation Source How to get Win 10
    Reservation State 0x00000001(1)
    Reservation tag GWXapp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\GWX\Guid
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\GWX\TrayIcon
    Default (Value not set)
    IconVisibility 0x00000002 (2)

Is there something here that should not be if I do not want Win10?

Any ideas what to do?

Glory

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As you haven't said what you tried I suggest reading this thread to see if it helps.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...NOT-be-offered

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have deleted the suggested updates (KB3035583, KB2952664, KB 3021917, KB 3044374), hid those updates and others pertaining to Win10 along with the Win10 update. GWX is not in my Task Scheduler. At this point when I see an update I either go to the web site to download it or if it pertains to Security Essentials I update that program. I will check out the suggested article.
    Glory

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    After numerous unsolicited and failed Win 10 updates on two laptops, the Win 7 installations became so corrupted both had to be reinstalled from scratch. Just logging on was taking up to 10mins with a variety of error messages, screens going black, etc.! On one laptop, I couldn't even access the recovery partition anymore to restore the factory image...

I really didn't need this aggravation in the middle of trying to do Uni assignments. I also didn't need $600 in excess internet downloads (3GB) because MS foisted the upgrade on Win 7 users who have the misfortune to use the Windows Update settings recommended by MS and, when the upgrade fails, it starts downloading again...

Windows 10 Ugrade Fails.png
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have followed the instructions suggested in the article (get rid of upgrade to Win 10 lock) referred to several times. It does not work.

Some place else I read about downloading a program called "Take Ownership to Explorer..." I started to download it but several red flags went up about changing registry settings, which concerns me a bit.

Glory
    Last edited by glory; 2015-09-05 at 17:54.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    I have followed the instructions suggested in the article (get rid of upgrade to Win 10 lock) referred to several times. It does not work.

Some place else I read about downloading a program called "Take Ownership to Explorer..." I started to download it but several red flags went up about changing registry settings, which concerns me a bit.

Glory

I gave up and went back to an old restore point from mid-July. I still needed to go into the installed updates and delete all of them having to do with Windows 10 because the icons kept appearing and asking me to reserve the program. I am quite taken aback that Microsoft foisted all these updates into my computer without really explaining the reason for them and what they were doing. I will dump their operating systems with the purchase of my next computer.

Glory

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    I gave up and went back to an old restore point from mid-July.
    Lucky you - the corrupt upgrade that was foisted on me deleted all restore points AND rendered my recovery partition inaccessible. So I had to go to a library to download a new 3GB Win 7 iso, find all the necessary drivers, then download all the post-SP1 updates (except for the Win 10 abomination), AV software, install Office 2010, download all the post-SP2 updates, etc., etc., before I could reload all my data... Except for the Win 7 iso download, I had to do basically the same process twice - once for each laptop.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]