Thanks

Microsoft Solitaire not working, need help!

I've had my fair share of issues with Windows 10 and now I have another and need some help.

I was exploring Windows 10 tonight for the first time and noticed that in my Application list off the Start Menu it shows that I have Microsoft Solitaire Collection installed and I thought I would give it a try. When I launch the app it displays a splash screen for the app momentarily then the window closes. I have checked task manager and I don't see the app running so there must be some issue with the way the program is installed so I thought perhaps the best thing to do is to remove it and then reinstall it. I went into Control Panel and checked the Installed applications and could not find an entry for it in the list. I went out to the Store and I can find the app and it tells me that it's currently installed but doesn't seem to provide a means to remove the app or reinstall it. Can anyone tell me how to fix the app or remove it from Windows 10 so I can reinstall it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Right click the entry in the start menu and select uninstall.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Right click the entry in the start menu and select uninstall.

Joe
    No can do. Since the app apparently was built-in there is no uninstall option when you right click on the entry in the start menu.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Both entries for the Solitaire collection in my start menu have Uninstall as a context menu option. Sorry, I've got nothing else.

Joe

Thanks
    Solitaire is not installed. You just have a link to the Xbox on line site. You need to be logged in to your Windows A/c to be able to use it. If you want the Desktop version, you can download it from the App Store.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Solitaire is not installed. You just have a link to the Xbox on line site. You need to be logged in to your Windows A/c to be able to use it. If you want the Desktop version, you can download it from the App Store.
    So, if I understand you correctly, if I'm logged on with a local account instead of being logged on with my Live account then all I get is a link to the Xbox online site, correct? If true this make a bit of sense as to what happened to me this morning which was a bit odd and unnerving. This morning when I fired up my PC it booted to the logon screen and prompted me for a password which it never does as I use a local account and I have that account setup so it automatically bypasses the logon. When it did give it my password it then told me my password was incorrect and I thought I might be locked out somehow but I tried my Live account password and it let me in. After getting logged back in I went back out and changed my login back to my local account and reset the account to not require a password. Kind of freaked me out as I did not intentionally change my logon credentials and don't know how or why they would change if I just logged into the store with my Live account trying to see if there was an update to Solitaire. In researching this problem of not being able to launch Solitaire last night I found several articles that said that the Xbox version that is free bombards you with ads and to get rid of the ads you have to select a subscription option and pay each month for something that used to be free. These article that I was reading suggested that I download the Windows 7 games that have been tweaked to work with Windows 10 so I decided to go that route instead.

Please let me know if I understood what you were saying about the login requirement to play solitaire.

Thanks
    Just a footnote to this posting. If you want to get rid of the Windows 10 built-in apps like Solitaire I found an article that shows you how to do this. Apparently, from some other articles I read it really doesn't physically remove an app as the app is built-in but this procedure disables the app and removes it from the apps folder in the start menu. Here's a link to the article: http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-...einstall-them/. The procedure also shows you how to re-enable them but apparently this article only covers how to re-enable all of them instead of individual apps.
    Last edited by Moondoggy451; 2015-09-02 at 12:11.

Thanks
    Please let me know if I understood what you were saying about the login requirement to play solitaire.

You've got it.

Thanks
    I have another posting out there on this forum now regarding an expansion of this issue. I posted this question on several Windows 10 forums and in some of the replies I got several people asked why I didn't right click on the application within Start - Apps and select uninstall. I fired back that I had no such option on my PC and they in turn sent me snapshots of their option to remove Solitaire from a right click menu. I then went to my laptop PC and right clicked on Candy Crush Saga and sure enough there was the option to uninstall this app. I then checked other apps like CCleaner and Quicken on my laptop and those apps had the same option to uninstall the app from the right click menu. I then went back to my desktop PC and checked every application I have installed and the only option I have available is Pin to Start. I even went out and uninstalled CCleaner from control panel and reinstalled it and even on a new install, the only option I have is Pin to start. This seems to be some sort of permission thing that despite the fact that my account is an Administrator, it doesn't have admin rights on this particular function. So far I've found nothing that will fix this issue so is now much bigger than just removing Solitaire.

Thanks
    Just an update to this thread.... My problem with solitaire turned out to be a much bigger problem with Windows 10. Unfortunately, I never did find any solution to the bigger problem and as a result I decided to do a Windows 10 reset which removed everything from my HD and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10. After reinstalling all of my apps and restoring my data files, I'm good to go.