Thanks

Damaged hard drive - Partition repair tool?

My friend brought over his laptop with a damaged hard drive. I put the hard drive in a usb enclosure. The hard drive spins, but the system partition is not accessible, though it can be seen. I've then connected it directly to the SATA cable in a desktop, and using Partition Wizard boot disk, it can see the folder structure within the system partition, but is unable to repair it or even assign it a drive letter, and the Copy function will not work. I've tried Easeus Partition Pro boot disk, it would not even boot.

A linux disk can see the disk when it is connected via SATA, but will not mount it.

If I connect it to a computer as a second drive via SATA and try to start windows, it will not boot and chkdsk runs, but to no avail.
    I tried the GParted LIve CD, the copy function would not work, checking the partition says it cannot write to the partition and fails.

I've tried data recovery software - GetDataBack cannot find any files to recover.

I am trying MiniTool PowerDataRecovery right now, but it takes a long time.

Any ideas what else I might try?

Thanks

Thanks
    If you connect the drive as the second drive via SATA, can you boot to Windows Safe Mode? If so, you may be able to do something with the drive. I'm not hopeful, but you never know.

Thanks
    I can try that. What would you suggest doing once I am in Safe Mode?

Thanks

Thanks
    My idea is that you may be able to get into Windows with the drive connected as a SATA drive if you go into Safe Mode. And if you can get into Windows, you may be able to get something done with the drive.

You could perhaps delete, then recreate, the partition on the bad drive.

To delete the partition in Windows 7:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

To create a new partition, then format it:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...tion=windows-7
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-09-02 at 16:43.

Thanks
    Thanks.

I am trying to recover files from it, he was not doing any backup. Deleting the partition would make that more difficult.

I have booted into Windows, with the drive connected via SATA. It shows up, but does not have a drive letter, and Windows is unable to access it.

So I am looking to either repair the partition, and/or recover files from it. Don't care about trying to re-use the drive again after I get the files off it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2015-09-02 at 17:34.

Thanks
    I am trying MiniTool PowerDataRecovery right now, but it takes a long time.
    Yeah,...and it's going to take a long time. Leave it alone and let it do it's job.
    Mini Tool worked for me, if it can actually see/recognize the drive it's working on, and if it has some place to copy the data to.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    It's been working for 30 hours now. Says it has found 140,000 files so far.
    And says 1% progress, which I can't really believe, at least not as far as the number of files goes.

It is still the trial right now. Hopefully it lets me put in the product key later once I see what it has found.

Thanks
    Now it says 2%, and 160,000 files. It finally gave me an estimate for completion. 38 hours more.