Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,070
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 132 Times in 86 Posts

    The highs and lows of Windows 10 patching


    WINDOWS 10



    The highs and lows of Windows 10 patching


    By Susan Bradley

    Windows 10 has been out a bit over a month, and I've developed a love/hate relationship with its patching process. From forced driver updates to branch releases, the patching system feels as if it still needs tweaking and fixing.

    The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/windows-10/the-highs-and-lows-of-windows-10-patching/ (opens in a new window/tab).

    Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.[/td] [/tr][/tbl]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

    PhotM (2015-09-03)

  3. #2
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    665
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
    All I have to say is I'm quite grateful with M$'s Win10 patching. I did go where angels fear to tread (upgraded on day one) and had a not so stable system (never had seen my system crash as many times since Win98 days; lol). Each time it did crash, it created a report; assume that report got uploaded to the developers at M$ since around 2 weeks after my upgrade, my system became pretty darn stable. Now, the only issue I really have is I can't get my mouse to wake up my PC from hibernate (or even sleep) so have to push the power button now, but that's no biggy. Kudos to M$; really am liking Win10. Just wish I can get Cortana to talk (I don't have a mic so type my query in; Cortana just texts an answer. lol). Only had a few occasions to use Cortana; not sure why I see a few folks not happy with it.

    Bottom line, keep up the patching; only makes the OS better for me anyway (might just be that I'm the luckiest Windows user though; lol).

  4. #3
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Susan that Windows Update does need tweaking. I had a HP printer driver update fail and I followed the instructions to install from the HP web site. That worked OK but now I get continuous failures when Windows Update attempts to reinstall the same driver. We should be able to hide or delete unneeded or duplicate non security updates. Someone needs to fix the Edge browser as I am using Firefox to access Comcast email, read the Boston Globe epaper, and use Amazon on one of my PC's. One out of three isn't bad but the problem one has a large screen monitor and the other two have small monitors.

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Revere Jim View Post
    That worked OK but now I get continuous failures when Windows Update attempts to reinstall the same driver. We should be able to hide or delete unneeded or duplicate non security updates.
    You should try the “Never install driver software from Windows Update” and “Show or hide updates” troubleshooter for Windows 10" options mentioned indirectly in the article:

    A How-To Geek page discusses how to roll back drivers in Win10 — and how to hide them so they don’t automatically reinstall.

  6. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Horseshoe Bay, Texas, USA
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Win10 Home systems don't come with a Group Policy editor. But you can make changes to the Windows Registry to accomplish the same end. I recommend setting the Registry key to a value of "2" for enabling download notifications."

    A little help needed here. What Registry key is this?

    Thanks.

  7. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dro View Post
    "Win10 Home systems don't come with a Group Policy editor. But you can make changes to the Windows Registry to accomplish the same end. I recommend setting the Registry key to a value of "2" for enabling download notifications."

    A little help needed here. What Registry key is this?
    See "The steps are given in an AskVG.com blog post and a Windows Club page. I recommend reading both." in the previous paragraph.

    (which starts, "It you have Windows 10 Pro installed," )

  8. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Horseshoe Bay, Texas, USA
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    See "The steps are given in an AskVG.com blog post and a Windows Club page. I recommend reading both." in the previous paragraph.

    (which starts, "It you have Windows 10 Pro installed," )
    I did read the preceding paragraph and the wording indicated it was for Pro, which I do not have. So, since I don't have Pro, I did not go read the recommended articles. The next paragraph indicated it is for Home, which I do have, but gave no details. Hence, my question. Thanks.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dro View Post
    I did read the preceding paragraph and the wording indicated it was for Pro, which I do not have. So, since I don't have Pro, I did not go read the recommended articles. The next paragraph indicated it is for Home, which I do have, but gave no details. Hence, my question. Thanks.
    The registry steps for Home are included in those links in the preceding paragraph for Pro. Susan Bradley could have made it much clearer.

  10. #9
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    It appears that the point that is being missed, is that that there is little or no difference between the "Home" and "Pro" when it comes to the Registry. If a Key is not for that particular version, then there will be no software to read it. Therefore one is still safe. In this area that is being discussed there is no differences. Group Policy however is a completely different matter, "Home" doesn't have the editor.......

    Hope this helps,

    Crysta

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •