Thanks

Option to uninstall apps from the start menu in Windows 10 is unavailable

Apparently, I have yet another problem with Windows 10. I noticed today on my laptop that that when I right click on an application from the start menu there are options such as Pin to Start, Pin to Taskbar, Uninstall, Run as Administrator and Open File Location. However, when I right click on an application on my desktop PC, the only option I have available is Pin to Start. Has anyone seen this behavior and have fixed there PC so it shows the other options? If so, let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks
    I don't have that issue on my desktop PC, which was upgraded from Windows 7. Uninstall, etc. is available with a right-click.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I don't have that issue on my desktop PC, which was upgraded from Windows 7. Uninstall, etc. is available with a right-click.
    I also upgraded both my desktop and my Laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but my desktop is missing these options when I right click on an app. My laptop has these options and apparently my desktop is the one that's missing the options and I'd like to know how to get them to reappear.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    "Uninstall" is not available for programs which come with the OS on my Win10 systems. Are you sure you right clicked something you installed?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    "Uninstall" is not available for programs which come with the OS on my Win10 systems. Are you sure you right clicked something you installed?

Joe
    This whole thing started because I wanted to remove the Xbox version of Solitaire that was on my PC as initially I couldn't find any way to remove it from the Start Menu. Several people were telling me that all they had to do to uninstall any app from the Start Menu was to right click on the application Icon within Start. Several people on some other forums even snapshotted their option to remove Solitaire from the right click menu. After seeing these examples I opened up my laptop that is also Windows 10 and right clicked on Candy Crush Saga that was preinstalled and my laptop had the option to uninstall the app just as they had indicated. On my laptop I also right clicked on Quicken and several other apps and the option to uninstall was present when I right clicked on those Icons. I then went back to my desktop PC and clicked on Quicken and the only option available was to Pin it to the start menu. I also checked every app on my Desktop and on every one of them the only option I have is to Pin to Start. As a last ditch thing I completely uninstalled CCleaner, which was there. prior to my upgrade to Windows 10 thinking that perhaps a fresh install would fixe the problem but it doesn't. Bottom line is that there's definitely something hosed on my desktop PC and so far I have found no solution. It seems kind of strange however that a freshly installed app would exhibit the same behavior as older apps. This appears to be some sort of permissions issue that says that even though my account has full Admin rights, that it's somehow confused and says that this right is not available to me therefore they are not going to display that option. That's just speculation but Windows 10 works fine otherwise on my desktop PC. Thoughts? Ideas? Solutions?

Thanks
    A bit of an update......

I found a related issue when I right click on an application in the search dialog box results screen. For example, I searched for Powershell today on my desktop and the EXE was listed in the search results list. When I right clicked on it in the results list the only option available was "Pin to Start". If I did the same on my laptop it displays several options including one to run Powershell as an administrator. Note that this did not stop me from drilling down into the powershell folder and then right clicking directly on the .EXE. When I do it that way, I get the option to run the app as an administrator.

Thanks
    I just wanted to update this post to let people know that I never did find a solution to the issue I reported in this thread. As a result I decided to perform a reset which removed everything from my HD and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my PC. After reinstalling all of my apps and restoring my data files, I'm good to go.