New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Office 2010 Licensing and Windows 10.

Hi All!
    I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 last weekend.

When I went to use Office 2010 it flagged that I had 3 days to activate the software.

I selected online to reactivate; instead of phoning Microsoft. It then said I had installed Office 2010 too many times (?) and that I was in violation of the license agreement.

I need Office 2010 for my work and I was not instantly in love with Windows 10 so I rolled back to Windows 7.

That was not painless either as after the rollback, Office 2010 became unusable with graphical errors .

So I then had to install from a backup which finally fixed things. So definitely create a backup before installing Windows 10.

Should I have kept Windows 10 and phoned Microsoft to try and reactivate Office 2010? Has anyone else had the same issue?

Regards Hrad

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    There is no particular relationship between a Windows 10 upgrade and an Office licence. As part of its activation controls, however, Office tests the hardware on which it is installed. The fact you received an activation error suggests you have installed your current edition of Office on more hardware than is permitted - or that your hardware has changed significantly since Office was installed.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    There is no particular relationship between a Windows 10 upgrade and an Office licence. As part of its activation controls, however, Office tests the hardware on which it is installed. The fact you received an activation error suggests you have installed your current edition of Office on more hardware than is permitted - or that your hardware has changed significantly since Office was installed.
    Thanks Macropod

Now that you mention it there was something about hardware in the activation notice.

In 2011 I got a new computer with SSD and I did a clean install of Windows 7 and reinstalled Office 2010 at that time and there was no warning notice then.

It happily works with Windows 7, so I'll probably stick with it until 2020 or my computer dies.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    If you ring the MS activation centre, they should be able to validate it for you with the new hardware.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]