Lounger
    Thanks

Any alternative to 'Folder View'?

In Windows 7 is there any alternative to the 'Folder View'?

What I'm doing is making a family history of scanned photographs for putting on a USB stick, for playback on a computer or a TV, and I'm putting them into different years.

It's a bore having to keep returning to the main screen to open another folder, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a method for listing all the years on one page (Window) but with just breaks between the years, and the facility of entering a title (like the year) for each group of pictures.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ian,

If I understand what you want the only thing I can think of is to prefix each picture's filename with the year, e.g. 2015-Ians-Birthday.jpg, etc. Then put them all in a single folder. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Ian_G (2015-09-03)

Thanks
    Irfanview has a slide show creator as does Picasa. There are other slideshow creators as well - just Google for them.
    Picasa has an album facility and you can create a movie using it - with slides for text (I think). If you caption your photos these can be included. It's a wmv file so can be viewed by most. And did I say it's free? No doubt there are other similar programs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Ian_G (2015-09-03)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Geek.

What I wanted to do doesn't seem to be possible - and that is the ability to enter text into the Windows folder view: so you could have the usual list of folders and files on a page, BUT be able to divide them up and give each group of folders/files a heading, on the same page. I've often wanted to be able to do that.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions but it's not quite what I wanted. It seems I can't do what I wanted to do. I have made slide shows before using Photoshop Elements.

Thanks for your reply.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You can sort of do that in details view, wherein you can sort by field but also there's a carrot on the right side of the field to sub sort based on the info in that field but of course it's based on the field data and the sub sort choices can be limiting.

I prefer the RG method where you give unique sortable category names, then it's very easy to sort, or even move a group of sorted to their own folder all at once. Date works best in YYYY-MM-DD because then you can break the sorts down to day by day if need be, no matter what year or what month or what day. Just be sure to put in a leading 0 for month and day if need be.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Ian_G (2015-09-03)

Thanks
    Ztreewin a shareware program (and one of the few programs I have paid for and felt I have gotten my bucks worth!) can log a directory and sub directories and display them in one window sorted any of a variety of ways including date. You can tag files to be copied. While this is not what you asked for it is a way of fulfilling your stated objective as I understand it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ztreewin

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Ian_G (2015-09-03)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that suggestion F.U.N. I shall look into it in the near future.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Ztreewin a shareware program (and one of the few programs I have paid for and felt I have gotten my bucks worth!) can log a directory and sub directories and display them in one window sorted any of a variety of ways including date. You can tag files to be copied. While this is not what you asked for it is a way of fulfilling your stated objective as I understand it.
    Thanks wavy. This bit from Wikipedia sounds a bit more like I'm looking for: "Branch (or 'flat') file view - see all files in an entire directory and subdirectories in one view..." but two things come to mind:

1. I doubt one would be able to enter text into the flat file view (to explain the contents of the folders in that group)?

2. Presumably any other computer using the USB stick (on which I intend to put all these photographs) would also need to have Ztreewin on their computer - which would be a stumbling block for viewers wanting to view them on a modern TV?

Thanks
    Ok now it is a bit clearer to me what your objectives are, I thought is was the creation of the USB drive that was the stumbling block, it is the presentation of its contents that you want to achieve. I am not real versant in Office but you seem to basically want a menu and this could be achieved with Word or Access file with links to files on the usb. Of course the Open Office sw could do the same so no one would have to buy anything and most people have such already installed. I have seen a product that maybe able to do this recently, I am not sure if it free, I am under the impression it was sonething that came w/ windows. I will inquire this Sunday at family BBQ.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi wavy, and thanks.

I don't use Office either, I have only ever used OpenOffice - but I don't, actually, ONLY want to see a 'flat view' for using with the USB; I have often wished for this 'flat view' for my own use.

Being totally self-taught on the computer, I simply wondered if I had missed anything that maybe other people knew existed in Windows, and I didn't!

Thanks
    Sorry Ian I have no other suggestions.
    David