Thread: Netmeeting

soapytwo

Netmeeting

Hi:
    I'm using XP PRO. Netmeeting worked great with Win98 SE. Now it crashes my machine as soon as I turn on my webcam while in Netmeeting.

I am also using a Linksys Router. I open a "window" each time that I have a netmeeting, then close the opening when finished. Remember, all this worked with Win98, so I know the process is correct.

I don't have the "internet connection firewall" checked on the advanced tab in Windows.

Got any suggestions? thanks!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Netmeeting

Assuming your webcam is a USB device : locate and download the latest drivers from the vendors site. Those on the supplied CD are unlikely to be suitable for XP.
    I had a similar problem with a Smart Card reader: but there were no new drivers available. However, drivers for a a similar device from another supplier did the trick. Lucky, or what??

Rgds

soapytwo

Hi:
    thanks for the quick response. Yes, you WERE lucky that the driver fixed the problem for you.

I already downloaded the latest drivers to all my stuff before I installed XP, just to be ready.

Unfortunately, the driver for the webcam didn't make a difference. My unit is a USB Logitec QuickCam Pro 3000 unit, and I'm still crashing as soon as both parties turn on their webcams in Netmeeting.

The other party is using Win 2000, not XP., otherwise we would try the new MSN meeting feature. Microsoft said they want everyone to use that and really aren't supporting Netmeeting that much. The problem with that is that MSN can't be used unless both parties have XP. Phooey!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Soapy:

I have ran across several references to problems with XP, video conferencing, and routers.

The recommended solution, until Microsoft cleans up its act, is to use the Yahoo Messenger.
    <big><big><font color=blue>Ian</font color=blue></big></big>
    Admin

soapytwo

Hi There:

Good idea. guess that's the only way to go at this point.