Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backing up for Win 10

I have Win 8.1 on a HP bought in April '14, Win 10 on reserve, my question is do I need to make a full system back up
    if I have a recovery disc? If I do, what program do you suggest. Not going to upgrade yet still deciding.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Do a full system backup before you proceed with the upgrade to 10. That way, just in case something goes wrong, you can easily get back to where you were before you did the upgrade.

I would suggest an image backup, and also one which allows you to copy out individual files. In this way, if you lose something, but in general are happy with Windows 10, you don't have to start all over just to get the one item. (Your image backup may allow you to copy out individual files, which means that you might not need to do two backups.)

The recovery disk will get you to "out-of-the-box" condition (as if you just bought it and pulled it out of the box), but it won't give you your personal stuff (photos, documents, etc), nor will it restore whatever programs you have installed since purchasing the computer.

Make sure you hang on to the recovery disk, as well as any install codes/keys, because if you have lost all other recovery options, it will be a life saver.

If you have a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive or backup drive, you can use the free Seagate DiscWizard software. It should allow you to copy out individual files, but I've never tried to do it with that software, so I can't confirm that.

Another free backup program is EaseUs Todo Backup.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-09-03 at 11:37.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just my 2 cents worth. You can get a free version of Macrium Reflect (or other software) and use it to backup to an external drive. If you don't have a drive you may have to get one and it's worth the price to be able to do regular backups to an external drive.

Macrium has the ability to create a boot disk (CD or USB SD) which you should do first. Then image your drive. Once this is done, you can safely do almost anything knowing that you can restore from the image.