New Lounger
    Thanks

Roll back to 7 after 10 upgrade

In an answer to a question in the new lounge, this was stated:
    Some Windows users wonder whether they can acquire Win10 now for free and then start using it after July 2016. Typically, these folks are waiting for third-party software vendors to add Win10 support to their business applications. To delay a formal migration to Win10, the users would back up a Win7/8 machine, download and install the free Win10 upgrade (thus acquiring a new Win10 license), and then roll back to Win7/8. They would then move up to their free Win10 when they like.
    My question is how to "roll back" to Win7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Go to Start | Settings | Update and Security | Recovery. If the upgrade properly completed and you are within 30 days of the upgrade the option to rollback should be there.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

donald86 (2015-09-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I rolled back to windows 7 using the above process on my Dell Laptop. It wasn't 100% successful though as I lost my wireless network driver and I couldn't connect to the internet. I didn't know about this site then and ended up take the laptop back to the store that I brought it from and they reinsalled Win 7 from scratch.

They might not get what they are hoping for doing this!

Just warning

Thanks
    Sounds like it would be a good idea to have a copy of your NIC driver available for reinstall, before you upgrade to Windows 10, just in case something like this should go wrong. Or perhaps have a USB NIC which can be used to connect and then download the NIC driver.

With the USB NIC, you could likely easily have connected once you plugged it in, and then run a Windows update. You would likely find your NIC driver listed. Install only that one update, and you should be back in business.

When I have no idea which NIC driver to install, that's the way I do it, and I have always had success.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

donald86 (2015-09-04)