Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow starting--how to diagnose

OK, I have two very similar W7 laptops. One HOME the other PRO. Both computers used to boot pretty fast. But, slowly, over the last 8 months or so, my W7 Pro laptop has slowed down a lot.

When I boot up, all goes well until the internet is ready to connect. It takes an extra few minutes at that point. After that, the internet is live, Norton Security goes on (ie: the icon then shows it is working) and I'm good to go. At that point, all is well. It is reasonably speedy and shuts down normally.
    I am not that knowledgeable on how to troubleshoot this, so I am looking for suggestions.

I have carefully examined the STARTUP items via msconfig and found no issues. It pretty much matches what I have in the other computer. I have examined 1 or 2 startup items (turned them off), but that didn't do a thing.

Perhaps a service is loading slowly.

Anyway, I am open to suggestions. It appears to be something that's loading just before the internet activates (ie: the little icon in the systray shows it is active) or maybe it is part of the activation.

What should I try next?

(I regularly practice safe hex and all AV and malware scans are clean)

Mel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have two Win 7 laptops - one boots up in 50 - 55secs while the other takes 1min 10 -15secs and I've never been able to find out why - so I gave up and just accepted it.

For me the wireless icon seems to be the last thing to clear, so perhaps it has problems connecting to the router, but I've reinstalled the wireless driver a number of times without it improving anything.

If everything works okay after it boots up then like me, you may just have to put up with it.

Just a thought - have you done a defrag - although didn't improve anything for me.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-03 at 18:03.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I ran defrag, it said no defrag necessary (very low defrag factor).

I also checked out the Task Scheduler and could find nothing there that would impede a boot

It's about a 90-second boot time difference (I haven't timed it )

Mel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I just timed it. One laptop -- from pressing the ON button to being ready to go -- took 55 seconds. The other computer was 85 seconds longer.

This is not a big deal or even a little deal as I am in no rush. But it is a curiosity and I would like to fix the issue - the slower computer used to be the faster one!

Mel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen what you describe pretty often. As you noted once Norton is fully ready things are fine after that. Since I don't have Norton I don't recall the specifics but when I have had to deal with what you described I have dug into what settings Norton has for maintenance schedule and addressed them according to the way the computer owner wanted (well sometimes with a little prodding from me). Then there are the Norton backups, disable them if you can if you don't use it because it will take the time to try. Then I follow up with Disk Cleanup along with Cleanup system files. I can't say there is a correlation between Norton and Disk Cleanup but it's just that its what I do (in fact for other internet security packages just as well).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Norton on both computers.

I ran disk cleanup. No help. Ditto with ccleaner.

Mel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have Norton 360 on both laptops and don't use the back up facility either.

You could create a Boot Log by going into msconfig and checking that box under the Boot tab and if you also check the box for OS boot info, you will see the drivers loading on the reboot and then see if anything seems to sticking.

You can view the Boot Log in C:\Windows\nbtlog

Double click on nbtlog and it will open in Notepad.

I don't know if anything will be obvious by comparing the logs for each machine though.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    I have Norton on both computers.

I ran disk cleanup. No help. Ditto with ccleaner.

Mel
    The disk cleanup and ccleaner are only a finishing touch of computer maintenance

EDIT:
    Are your Norton maintenance programs in control and is backup being attempted are the issues
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2015-09-04 at 10:53.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cmptrgy:

I don't THINK Norton Security is trying to do any backup. I've never used Norton Backup. I see nothing in scheduler on that. Also, the delay appears to be about 90 seconds. (I use Macrium for my b/u).
    I see no evidence that NS is trying to do some evidence, but again I am new at this and I am not sure where to look.

Sudo: I'll try and check and compare the bootlogs.

Mel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo and others:

OK, I created the bootlog.
    So, I now have the bootlogs for the "good" computer and the "bad" computer.

But, frankly, I am at a loss to go beyond that. I have no idea how to determine what is slowing down the problem laptop.

I guess I can post the logs. Would someone be willing to peruse them and offer a suggestion?

Mel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could do but the best advice I could give on that is to look for continually trying to load the same driver.

I have entries in my Boot Log where it has tried 3 times to load some drivers but that is on the quicker of the two laptops.

You could try reinstalling the wireless driver, but that had no effect on my slower one.

Have you checked to see if it boots any quicker in a clean boot with all Startup items and non-MS services under the Services tab disabled - don't forget to check the box to Hide all Microsoft services before hitting the Disable all button.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    compiler I believe you are in good shape on your computer
    I also agree with Sudo15 on checking out Clean Boot

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update:

I did look again at the bootlogs.

This occurred, but in BOTH computers:

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\BCM42RLY.sys
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NSx64\1605020.00F\SRT SPX64.SYS
    Loaded driver \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The reason you got the second line is because the driver was already loaded as in the first line.

While they can be normal entries, I don't know why it does that but as they are on both machines and not causing any problems on the faster machine, then I wouldn't worry about them.

How about the clean boot ?

I've previously factory reset my slower laptop - got rid of the bloat - reinstalled the programs I use - updated everything and it still didn't make any difference even after stripping msconfig to the bare bones as I have on the other machine, which is why I've accepted it will continue to boot slower than the other.

You could try the factory reset as it will give it a clean out - see how it boots after dumping the bloatware and before you update or reinstall anything.

I use IOBit Uninstaller to get rid of bloat and the trial version of McAfee, but also run MCPR.exe which is the McAfee uninstaller to ensure all of the bits are gone and then do a defrag before adding everything back in which is the same as on the other laptop.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...I use IOBit Uninstaller to get rid of bloat...
    Tom, AFAICT any IOBit programs are suspect. You might want to review whether you want to continue using IOBit software.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast