4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer causing Office problems

I installed Windows 10 and it seemed to go pretty smooth, except...
    I think I am having a problem with my printer. I am running W10 on a Toshiba Satellite C-55A and my printer is a Canon MG3220.
    I was having trouble with Office, Word, Excel, Publisher opening. I am running Office 2003. When I open the programs, I get an error message that shows:
    "The printer has not yet responded, but the Microsoft Office program may be able to proceed without printer information. Do you want to continue to wait for the printer?"
    There is a Yes and a No box and no matter which one I click, all I get is a spinning icon and the program does not work. Sometimes I can shut it down by clicking the X on the program window, other times I have to open Task Manager and use End Task to get it to close. I also can't print from NotePad, WordPad or my photo program.
    I checked the printer to see if there was a job stuck in the queue and nothing showed up.
    I decided to delete and re-install the printer, so I tried to delete it, using the Windows 10 Settings App. It has been stuck on Removing Device for the last couple of hours. I re-booted twice and it still shows the same thing. I opened the old Control Panel and couldn't get anything accomplished there. I have also Googled it and didn't find anything there that was helpful.
    Anyone have any ideas on how I fix this? Thank you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is what the Settings Window looks like.
    Attachment 44763

Thanks
    Have you powered-off or disconnected the printer?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The printer connects wirelessly for printing but uses a USB cable connection for scanning. I have turned the printer on and off, I just unplugged the cable.
    One other thing, the Settings window changed the update to Unavailable Driver, (or something like that, I should have written it down). I waited a while and then clicked on Remove Device again, and it is now back at being stuck on Removing Device.
    Do I need to remove the wireless connection? If so, how do I do that/ Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    ...Do I need to remove the wireless connection?...
    No. The wireless connection settings are removed along with the printer object.

I'd say just leave it on "removing device"; sometimes it can take 30 minutes or more...
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    The printer connects wirelessly for printing but uses a USB cable connection for scanning. I have turned the printer on and off, I just unplugged the cable.
    One other thing, the Settings window changed the update to Unavailable Driver, (or something like that, I should have written it down). I waited a while and then clicked on Remove Device again, and it is now back at being stuck on Removing Device.
    Do I need to remove the wireless connection? If so, how do I do that/ Thanks for your help.
    That seems a strange combination IMHO.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Download and install the new W10 drivers and software for your printer. The update should replace the old drivers.

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/servic...223B003&type=D

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been three days and it is still stuck on Removing Device. That's in Windows 10 Settings and also looking at it through Control Panel, Devices and Printers. I have tried turning the printer on and off, unplugging and plugging the cable in and re-booting the laptop. I also downloaded the new drivers, there were 2 sets so I downloaded both. They wouldn't install unless I ran them using Run As Administrator.

I would like to just blow these, I have 2 of the same printer installed, not sure why, out and start over. Any ideas on how to just get rid of them? Thank you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried plugging the USB Printer cable in directly to the laptop, it was going through a hub, and that didn't seem to make any difference. I also tried booting in Safe Mode and that wouldn't let me uninstall them either.

I was looking at Update and Security and wondering if I should try running Restore or just go all the way and roll back to Windows 8.1. Anyone have any opinion on those options? Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I got this resolved, sort of. I went to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS and found 2 files in there, both seemed to be related somehow to Shockwave Flash, which has been causing me problems with my Web Browser. That's a whole 'nother story. They were not any kind of document files that I recognized, so somehow they got into the Spooler. I deleted them and it is now printing. I didn't have to re-install the printer driver, it just re-appeared. However, it is still showing another icon, that shows Removing Device. I'll re-boot a couple of times and maybe that will clear it up.

Thanks
    Make sure there are no print jobs queued up behind the "removing device" printer. Delete any queued jobs.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's what it was, there were 2 files in the Print Spooler, although I don't think they were print jobs.
    These are the 2 files, (I got the information from the Recycle Bin, when I deleted them, I didn't know if that would fix the problem or not, so I didn't take note):

Name Size Item Type Date Modified
    00003.SHD 7 KB SHD File 9/8/2015
    00003.SPL 98,632 KB Shockwave Flash Object 8/29/15

I don't know what these would be. According to the dates, they were created after I installed Windows 10. I don't print that often, or even use Office that often anymore, so I don't really know when the problem started.

The other problem, W10 lets me select Remove Device but doesn't tell me that there is any potential problem. Once it goes into Removing Device, you can't access the Print Queue, I had to remove these files by using File Explorer.

The other thing, I just looked at Settings and it still shows Removing Device, while the Working Printer icon is shown also. I have re-booted a couple of times and that didn't help anything. I like to tidy up but it's not letting me!