Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question on running windows 10 in a Virtual Machine

I have Windows 7. It runs on an SSD. My PC has hundreds of apps and is heavily configured to my liking. Installing Windows 10 and starting from scratch is a huge pain and upgrading to windows 10 for a 4 year old machine with all its detris is not the best idea. I am running windows 10 in a dual boot partition on a slow HDD but that is inconvenient to keep rebooting. I am not sure Windows 10 offers much anyway and a number of articles point that out. I care nothing for the modern interface or its features and use Classic Shell to make it look like Windows 7, but it is the OS to be on for the future.
    You get the idea.

What I would like to do is Install Windows 10 In Oracle VM VirtualBox so I can use them at the same time. I will then slowly install my apps and customize to my liking and figure out the wrinkles. When I have Windows 10 to my liking, I would like to make it my primary system and move it to the SSD.

My question is whether this is possible. Is there a way to take the Virtual image and use it outside of Virtual Box? Perhaps with an image copy using Acronis. A variation would be to switch Windows 7 and Windows 10 so that Windows 10 is the primary boot system and Windows 7 is in the virtual machine. I know about the issues with Windows fast boot and so I disable that and it works just as Windows 7 did for booting purposes.
    Note: Windows 7 and windows 10 already dual boot. I have 2 licenses.

Thanks
    Converting from VHD to HDD depends on the software. What you're talking about doing is feasible enough.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Converting from VHD to HDD depends on the software. What you're talking about doing is feasible enough.
    Do you have a recommendation on software. I have not used VHD before. Can I simply use Image copies? How would an image on VHD be cloned to an SSD? Acronis?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrener View Post
    Do you have a recommendation on software. I have not used VHD before. Can I simply use Image copies? How would an image on VHD be cloned to an SSD? Acronis?
    I use Image For Windows, which uses scripts to make such conversions:

"Physical to Virtual - Scripts included to automatically convert your physical machine to a virtual machine, either directly or from a backup image.
    Virtual to Physical - Convert your virtual machine to a physical machine using the included scripts."
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks!