Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question Difference between the two volume images in the boot.wim

    Hi

    In the Windows 10 DVD, there is a file called boot.wim which has two volume images almost equal named "Microsoft Windows PE" and "Microsoft Windows Setup".

    I want to know what is their difference?

    Thanks

    Bye

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP Calimanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 144 Times in 130 Posts

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I read these two articles but have not found what is the difference between two mentioned above volume images. Why?

    Thanks

    Bye
    Last edited by balubeto; 2015-09-05 at 12:14.

  4. #4
    Silver Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,373
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
    One is for installation and the other is for repair, iirc
    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    One is for installation and the other is for repair, iirc
    Are you sure of this?

    Thanks

    Bye

  6. #6
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,760
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balubeto View Post
    Hi

    In the Windows 10 DVD, there is a file called boot.wim which has two volume images almost equal named "Microsoft Windows PE" and "Microsoft Windows Setup".

    I want to know what is their difference?
    The "Microsoft Windows Setup" maintains boot/reboot control throughout the Windows installation process, so that when the installation routine must reboot, it upgrades copied files to make them active and reboots back into the same place in the installation routine, so that it proceeds smoothly from start to finish without need of user intervention.

    The "Microsoft Windows PE" is the environment into which one boots in order to effect repairs to an existing installation.

    Yes, I'm sure.

    Bye
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  7. #7
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    The "Microsoft Windows Setup" maintains boot/reboot control throughout the Windows installation process, so that when the installation routine must reboot, it upgrades copied files to make them active and reboots back into the same place in the installation routine, so that it proceeds smoothly from start to finish without need of user intervention.

    The "Microsoft Windows PE" is the environment into which one boots in order to effect repairs to an existing installation.

    Yes, I'm sure.

    Bye
    So in boot.wim, which image volume has the boot flag?

    Thanks

    Bye

  8. #8
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,760
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balubeto View Post
    So in boot.wim, which image volume has the boot flag?
    Microsoft Windows Setup has the boot flag. Whenever one boots from the DVD the first offering is to choose your language, which is in preparation for installation. After language selection, on the second screen one is offered to repair the computer as an option. If that option is selected, one then continues the boot into Microsoft Windows PE.

    Yes, I'm sure.

    Bye
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  9. #9
    Silver Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,373
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balubeto View Post
    Are you sure of this?

    Thanks

    Bye
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    One is for installation and the other is for repair, iirc
    No
    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •