New Lounger
    Thanks

Need to extend Wi-Fi range

Hi All
    I'm wanting to extend my Wi-Fi around my home as the house is large and has a lot of stone walls as it was once a farm house.
    I currently have a TP LINK N600 Modem.
    Im wanting to add more access points around the house as the N600 only covers around 20% of the house.
    I want the access points to work with the N600 to any device connected to the Wi-Fi has the same password for all access points and will let me move around the house switching from one access point to another without disconnecting and reconnecting all the time.
    I don't mind if the access points are wired as im willing to run the cables if it is going to be worth while but they ideally would be POE.

Any help or advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    AlphaTech,

This TPLink Extender should work with your router. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RetiredGeek

Thanks for your reply and help.
    would these work from each other? im asking due to the size of the house if i was to put one of these at the other end of the house it wouldnt find the modem, but if there was more of these inbetween would they work from each other or do they need to all work directly from the modem?

thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Home Plug Powerline Adapters may better suit your purpose as they plug into any power socket and use the property's electrical wiring and you can Ethernet as well to any adapter.

You can get various kits so it would be best for you to Google for what would be best for you, but avoid the cheapos as they can be prone to failure through overheating because of cheap electronics.

If you come across any that take your fancy, then a trip to Amazon for the customer reviews is always advisable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTech View Post
    ...would these work from each other? im asking due to the size of the house if i was to put one of these at the other end of the house it wouldnt find the modem, but if there was more of these inbetween would they work from each other or do they need to all work directly from the modem?...
    Two of my customers need to have their wireless networks available in areas of their properties that are a considerable distance away from their wireless routers.

One of these customers has five TP-Link range extenders, two of which are "downstream" from two of the other extenders. The other has three TP-Link range extenders, one of which is "downstream".

There is a barely-noticeable delay when accessing the "downstream" extenders, otherwise they perform very well.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ive managed to get hold of 4 TP N600. could i use these if i turned off the DHCP on them and wired them back to the main TP N600 in the loft?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Alpha Tech,

Should work just remember do NOT plug the LAN cable into the WAN port on the N600 plug it into a regular port. I'm assuming that this router is new enough to auto sense and automatically set the connection crossover. If this is not the case you'll need a crossover cable.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You could use homeplug/powerlink wireless access points, with a 'standard' one linking your router to the mains cable.

The general principle is that, for all the wireless access points and the wireless modem router, you use the same network name/SSID and the same password but different channels. If this works as designed, you could move around the house with your laptop and not lose connection.

If you are in the US and other similar countries, you are limited to using channels 1-11, and the non-overlapping channels are 1, 6 and 11. If you use other channels, there will be some overlap/interference between channels.

If you are in the UK and some parts of Europe, you can use channels 1-13. Here, with some minor overlap, you can use channels 1, 5, 9 and 13.

As RG says, you need to turn off DHCP on all the wireless access points, but not the router.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...