3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mac Word to Windows Word?

I have been working for weeks on a document in Word for Windows (2003), then sent copy to a friend who edited it on a Mac (Word 2010). When I tried to open it after he sent it back all I get is rubbish. What was a 50 page document is now a 453 page document with just 3 or 4 lines of gibberish on each page. He assured me that it had been saved in some sort of format that should be compatible with Windows, but clearly that is not what I've got. I could send it back and have him try again, might work or might not, but is there any way converting from Mac to Windows formats?

Thanks,

David

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Macs don't ordinarily use Word 2010 - they use Word 2008, 2011, 365 or 2016. That said, all Office versions (including for PCs) from Word 2007 & later use a new file format, for which you'd need to install a converter before Word 2003 could open them. Apparently your friend saved the file in the new format instead of the format in which you sent it - that would not be an accidental change. You can download the converter from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ails.aspx?id=3. Or you could get your friend to re-save the file in its original format...
    Last edited by macropod; 2015-11-12 at 00:33.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How nice it must be to have the power to obsolete file formats, especially formats that have become deeply entrenched throughoout the world.

I'm sure it never entered Microsoft's "mind" that it would strongly encourage (translation: require) people to buy new software. And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Yes, I know about the little MS converter patch, and I use it - BUT - many people - maybe most - don't know about it.
    MS only released it after their biggest enterprise customers gave them unholy hell about the incompatability "issues" (translation: chaos) the new format caused.

The patch is called:
    Ofc2007 Compatability Pack sp1-kb940289.exe
    or
    FileFormatConverters.exe

Thanks
    The new format (2007 and newer) produces documents which are a lot smaller than the old format. While it doesn't matter much for smaller documents, for huge documents it can make a big difference in many ways: email size, storage requirements on your hard drive, speed in searching through the document, etc.

UncleStu, do you believe that Microsoft should forever keep an old format as the default format? They haven't killed the old format - they still support it. Not only can you still use the old format with the new software, but you can also get a converter to convert back and forth.

I used to use only the old format when saving documents, for compatibility reasons. But when I realized that the new format takes up a lot less storage space, I switched to the new format.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleStu View Post
    I'm sure it never entered Microsoft's "mind" that it would strongly encourage (translation: require) people to buy new software. And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

MS only released it after their biggest enterprise customers gave them unholy hell about the incompatability "issues" (translation: chaos) the new format caused
    What a load of unmitigated nonsense !!! You obviously never bothered to find out the facts before posting. How about doing so now...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]