New Lounger
    Thanks

How can I effectively prevent WIN from upgrading to 10?

daily the window pops up: upgrade...etc........
    I do not want it...
    How can I stop this from popping up and, is there a way so that it can NOT ug accidentially.
    am not very technically savvy on PCS.
    thank you all for your help.
    H

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Primarily, go into Windows Updates and click on Change update settings and use the dropdown to change to Check for but let me choose...

This will stop Win 10 from auto downloading and if it or the other Windows Updates are offered after they have been uninstalled, click on Important and/or Optional then right click on each and select Hide.

This article will help you with the rest. https://techjourney.net/disable-remo...tem-tray-icon/

Super Moderator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your help.
    I tried to get the stopper. But I am affraid there is a lot more than just the tool going to download.
    Would it be possible for you to do a step by step to get only the removal tool downloaded ?
    this would really be very helpful

thank you so much

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's been renamed. Perhaps you found the wrong one?

GWX Control Panel (formerly GWX Stopper) at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ (just the single file, bottom download on that page) is the one that appears to work well.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Having read the 'GWX Stopper' article, all it seems the utility does is to hide the icon; it does nothing to stop Win 10 being foisted on any Win 7 user who uses Microsoft's recommended Windows Update settings. To do that, you have to hide/uninstall all the relevant Windows updates - IIRC, they're KB3035583, KB3021917, KB2990214 & KB2952664.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Since Win10 was released I have worked on several customers' computers that were suddenly downloading excessively (most were Win7 but a couple were Win8). In almost all these cases when I checked "View update history" in Windows Update there were many "failed" entries for "Upgrade to Windows 10".

After some searching (as I have posted in several other WSL threads) I found a registry hack to "DisableOSUpgrade" on a M$ support page at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 which seems to stop the attempts to upgrade to Win10.

Earlier this week I tested "GWX Control Panel" (see BruceR's #5 post above) on one of my Win7 systems. It did turn off the GWX nag in the tray, but did not add the "DisableOSUpgrade" registry entries.

While reading up on "GWX Control Panel" I somehow found what seems to both disable the GWX nag AND add the "DisableOSUpgrade" registry entries. See "How to Remove “Get Windows 10” App and Its Icon from Taskbar?" at http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-g...-from-taskbar/

Look for "Registry Tweak 3" in the "METHOD 3: Disable "Get Windows 10" Using Registry Editor" section. There is a downloadable ZIP file containing "AskVG.com.url", "Disable GWX.reg", and "Enable GWX.reg". "Disable GWX.reg" does disable the GWX tray icon and also adds the "DisableOSUpgrade" registry entries, while "Enable GWX.reg" reverses the changes. Of course it is necessary to restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

Also, I have come to suspect that it is not the case that having WU set to "Install updates automatically..." is the real cause of the affected systems attempts to upgrade to Win10; rather, I think it is the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" setting. I have noticed that the computers that had that setting enabled were attempting to upgrade, while those that did not have that checkbox ticked were not attempting to upgrade.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-09-09 at 02:59. Reason: correction
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the best setting for Windows Update is Check for but let me choose, so when anything is presented you have the option to Hide.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I think the best setting for Windows Update is Check for but let me choose, so when anything is presented you have the option to Hide.
    Agreed, but if you look more carefully at the context in my #7 post you should understand I was discussing average users who have no interest in "Check for updates but let me choose..." and no understanding or inclination to gain understanding about which updates should be installed or not installed.

Typically such users will have WU set to "Install updates automatically...". Hence my observation about the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" setting. You might want to reconsider what I posted.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Since Win10 was released I have worked on several customers' computers that were suddenly downloading excessively (most were Win7 but a couple were Win8). In almost all these cases when I checked "View update history" in Windows Update there were many "failed" entries for "Upgrade to Windows 10".
    I had exactly the same experience with two Win 7 laptops:
    Windows 10 Ugrade Fails.png
    And, when the upgrade fails, it eventually starts downloading all over again. The Windows update log I kept clearly shows this happening.
    it is not the case that having WU set to "Install updates automatically..." is the real cause of the affected systems attempts to upgrade to Win10; rather, I think it is the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" setting. I have noticed that the computers that had that setting enabled were attempting to upgrade, while those that did not have that checkbox ticked were not attempting to upgrade.
    Correct. And therein lies the nub of the problem. With Win 7, it's being rolled out as a 'recommended' update rather than as an 'optional' one (I gather 'optional' update is the Win 8 approach). On my wife's Win 7 laptop, the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" setting is the factory-recommended configuration and, even if you turn it off, it gets reset to that when installing MS Office, for example, and you accept the installation defaults.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was discussing average users who have no interest in "Check for updates but let me choose..." and no understanding or inclination to gain understanding about which updates should be installed or not installed.

Typically such users will have WU set to "Install updates automatically...". Hence my observation about the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" setting.
    This has little to do with whether one is an 'average' user but with the consequences of having accepted the recommended settings that go with the installation of both the OS and major applications, such as MS Office. I know this, because I've just been through the long drawn-out process of reinstalling Win 7 on two laptops that were trashed by the Win 10 'upgrade' MS inflicted on them. Accepting the factory-recommended settings for the OS installation and for the Office 2010 installation both set Windows Update to "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates".

I doubt there'd be many people who would regard an upgrade to Win 10 they'd never asked for (e.g. neither I nor my wife 'reserved' an upgrade and there was no opt-out option, either) as a mere 'update'. Microsoft even hides the true nature of these so-called updates by describing them in Windows Update as if they're to fix an actual problem: 'Install this update to resolve issues in Windows ...' and nowhere mentioning the fact they'll entail downloads of 3GB+, not just the few MB the upgrade downloaders require. That actual Win 10 download is much more than many internet users' monthly download limit...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the average user would just leave things at default settings and not go looking for help until after the event, although the Windows icon in the system tray may have piqued their curiosity.

For troublesome installs, some have found uninstalling and reinstalling KB2952664 has worked and for some resetting the update components. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-09 at 13:03.