Lounger
    Thanks

non-refreshing icon for desktop shortcuts to folders

Before any content is put into the folder, the desktop shortcut icon is the generic 'folder' style. Once graphics are put into the folder, the icon changes to show a 'folder-with-contents' - so far so good. When those contents are deleted, the icon for the desktop shortcut does NOT revert to the generic 'folder' style. How to force a 'refresh' ? F5 does NOT succeed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Using Windows Explorer, right click on the folder, select Properties, and then click on the "Customize" tab. You can then select the folder type.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    The option given there is "'You can change the folder icon. If you change the icon, it will no longer show a preview of the folder's contents." which is NOT what I want. I want the icon to respond to its folder being emptied, rather than never showing contents.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Using Windows Explorer, right click on the folder, select Properties, and then click on the "Customize" tab. You can then select the folder type.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm afraid once the folder type is set it won't change automatically.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    That would seem to be untrue in that while the folder is empty, the shortcut icon is just generic, but once content has been inserted, the icon changes to reflect that. However, when that content is deleted, it does NOT revert to the generic.

Thanks
    It reverts in my win 8 file explorer, so it appears that this is possible for you, but I don't know how you might achieve it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Windows 10 systems revert to a generic icon when emptied. It could be that Win7 does not do that. I don't have a Win7 system to test on currently.

Joe