New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail hangs and must be forced to close

Several days ago I started experiencing display artifacts, partial blackouts, and full blackouts which self-recovered [according to my detective work TDRs] but became more and more frequent. I read that this could be caused by dust, which seemed very likely as I have never cleaned inside my computer case, which sits directly on the floor. It was indeed full of dust, which I thoroughly cleaned. Artifacts and blackouts went away.

I had noticed that the problem had been prevalent in WLM (my sole email client) and my browser (Chrome). Now everything on my system seems to be running fine, except WLM. It does open, but after a second or two 1) it hangs with a stationary hourglass and the title says "Unresponsive", 2) everything looks fine except for the Preview panel, which is blank, and 3) the entire window whites out if I click anywhere. If I click the red x to close, I get the popup which allows me to wait or force-close it.

Action taken:
    Ran the Windows Live Essentials Repair tool more than once. No help.
    Ran the fix MicrosoftFixit 50604 several times. No help.
    Did system restores. Solved the problem, but it keeps coming back again.
    Now, even when I do a restore to a restore point I named "WLM fixed", it does not help any more.
    Browser (Chrome) runs fine, so there is no problem with internet access. Just Windows Live Mail. I can even get a wlm new email form from the Contact links on websites. But then I can't send it because I can't get to the Send button (or anything else) in WLM. Every now and then (within the last two days) it will surprisingly opens and functions fine. But then the hanging returns. Have not been able to establish any pattern as to when/why it is sometimes OK.

SAFE MODE
    Both before and now, I get the same results in Safe Mode:
    Chrome opens showing that there is no internet connection.
    WLM gives me a popup window:
    "Windows Live Mail could not be started. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure that you disk is not full or that you are not out of memory. ( 0x80041161)"
    I was surprised to get this in Safe Mode, since it DOES open (although frozen) in regular mode.

I was very much hoping
    1. not to have to reinstall WLM due to fear of possibly losing my folder tree, etc.
    2. not to have to create a new email account due to fear of not being able to end up with an account with all my data (not just messages, but also the folder tree) and settings with the same name and password that I have had all along.

I thought of trying to reconfigure to log in manually instead of automatically. Might that help? Presently when WLM opens, the login screen sometimes flashes for a brief fraction of a second, and then I get the frozen, open WLM. How can I reconfigure the login to 'manual' if I can not get into the program to do it? Or would that not help?

Would any of the report files in the attachment help?

Thanks for any help!
    Janet

Windows Live Mail 2012
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Forced to move from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail when I upgraded to W7 years ago.
    Have Windows Live Mail highly configured to suit my needs: all my many years of folders, including client folders, groups, contacts, spam rules, white list, black list, layout, etc.
    I am the only person using this computer. No other users and no other email accounts.
    Both Windows and Windows Live Mail configured for automatic login.

CPU Intel Core i7-870 2.93 8M 1333
    Motherboard (LGA 1156) Intel WHITESBURG DP55 WB
    Memory 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card Gainward GTS 450 1024mb DVI HDMI DDR5
    Hard Drive 1T/7200/64MB SATA-II WD WD1002FAEX
    Monitor ViewSonic p97f+
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi Janet,

WSL.JPG

Try removing WLM then reinstall including log-in, with your anti virus & firewall disabled. If you have Ccleaner use it before reinstalling.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Test your RAM (Random Access Memory) for errors with MemTest86: http://www.memtest86.com/

If there are errors clean the contacts on the RAM chips then test again. The RAM chips will be clipped into slots near the CPU (Central Processing Unit).

An effective way to clean the contacts is to rub gently with a soft white pencil rubber (AKA "eraser") to remove any tarnish from the gold-plated contacts. Once cleaned the contacts should be noticeably brighter.

Even gold tarnishes over time; it just takes longer than other metals. Any tarnish on the contacts will interfere with the connections between the contacts on the chips and the contacts in the RAM slots, causing errors.

If MemTest86 still reports errors after you have cleaned the contacts then you will need to replace whichever RAM chip is faulty.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail opens hanging

Hi Folks,

I once again did a system restore and it was one of the times everything was OK again.While WLM was functioning again, I made backups of its program files (already do daily backups of app data). If it happens again, I will run those backups.

I didn't want to go through the trouble of uninstalling and then having to set everything up all over again. Since it sometimes opened and functioned OK, it seemed that neither the program nor the messages were corrupted--more likely a matter of some conflict with something else, and I just had to find the 'something else'..... I have a feeling the problem may have been caused by MS updates.

Didn't want to uninstall and reinstall because I understand that exporting and importing your data does not recreate your messages in their folders tree--you have to put them in manually. Any info on this last point would be welcome.
    Last edited by jberg; 2015-09-07 at 06:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Download error 'ShortCatalog' (BG_ERROR_CONTEXT=5)

Attached is the log file from C:\Users\Janet\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WLSetup\Log which I do not know how to read beyond seeing there is a ShortCatalogue problem (??"Download error 'ShortCatalog' (BG_ERROR_CONTEXT=5)"??).

I would be grateful for any help in fixing this problem and can send any other logs.

Janet
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Two points, just for General Information.

Cleaning ram:
    I've saved thousands of dollars worth of ram, since the Dual Inline RAM module was invented. (DDR).
    Ram memory sits right next to the CPU and the CPU cooler, that blasts the ram continuously with dust and dirt. I've successfully WASHED many sticks of ram, with soap and water, and then rinsed in Denatured Alcohol, and then thoroughly dried before reinstalling in the PC. (don't dry RAM in the Microwave Oven!)

Cleaning just the gold plated edge connector can be as simple as wetting a clean cloth with alcohol and vigorously rubbing the edge connector. I've used erasers in the past, to clean the edge connectors, but erasers can leave an oily residue and even leave tiny bits of gold between the traces and effectively short them out. Even when I was using an eraser, I still used the alcohol wetted cloth to thoroughly clean the edge connector.

I've read dozens of complaints about Windows Live Mail, and I'm still perplexed as to why it's still in use by so many pretty smart people.
    It's a horrible email program! Really! It looks sick and it's a real booger to set up.
    For someone, like me, who used Outlook Express for over a decade, WLM is not user friendly at all. It's a MESS!

When Microsoft released Vista, they gave O.E. a face-lift, calling it Windows Mail, but it still retains the O.E. user friendly nature. (easy to set up and easy to use)
    In Windows 7, MS disabled Windows Mail and they wanted everyone to start using WLM.
    I rejected that, like a pair of burlap socks.

Then I found the answer, just floating around on the internet. And that was to copy the entire Windows Mail folder from Vista and install it into Windows 7, and Voila, I had Windows Mail running nicely on Windows 7.

Similarly, I have Windows Mail running today, on either Windows 8.1 or even Windows 10.
    Every time I've installed a Windows 10 Beta Test version, since January, I've also installed Windows Mail. It's still very easy to set up, just like O.E., and I never have any problems with it.
    I'm sure the "How To" instructions are still out there on the net.

This was all for informational purposes only and not pointing a finger at anyone.

Cheers mates, and Happy Computing!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Dr. Who

Wow! I hated having to move from OE to WLM! At that time I checked out all the popular email clients, in effect looking for something as close to OE as possible. I settled for WLM in the end and do not use any of its 'Live' parts.… But I have never been happy with it. I just much prefer it to all those web mail sites. The last few days I have been thinking of switching to Outlook, which is actually more than I need. OE was perfect....:-(....

So you say Mail will work in Win 7?!? I never had Vista, so I can't copy it from there. Is it still downloadable? I hesitate using something that is not supported--I am not a computer technician....:-)....

Today my WLM was hanging. Tonight it's working. I sure would like to know what the story is there. I wish I knew how to read logs. I can see where the problem in the following logs, but don't know what it is and consequently how to fix it....

AppHang_wlmail.exe_c8a38a480191188539a68d9e2a4bba4d58b399_16a181bd.zip

WindowsLiveMail.log.zip

And the log report attached earlier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    I didn't use alcohol when I cleaned because I read that you should use 90% alcohol, and I have only 70%. Does that make a difference?

Thanks for the input!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dr. Who
    I see I do have Windows Mail on my system with a WinMail.exe file! It's in a Windows Mail folder just under a Windows Live Mail folder in C:\Program Files. It doesn't open anything when I click it, but I will have to try it when my WLM is off--I don't want to close it now that it is working....:-).... You said you just transferred the folder from Vista to Win7. Doesn't it have to install stuff in the registry??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For anyone who would like to use Windows Mail on Win7, see
    http://ogri.me/en/hard-soft/324-enab...l-in-windows-7

Janet