Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to view who's connected to my Wi-Fi

I am currently using the free version of "Who's on my wifi" which works but I find it confusing as it adds the same computer names after each scan (not all but some) .Is there a native way to Windows to do this. I also tried "net view" in an Command Prompt but that only gives my laptop name. I have given my password to boarders living in my house until there wifi is up and running again and then I will change the password again. This is why I have a sudden interest in this. I see How to Geeks recommend "glass wire". Thanks for any help or advice on this.
    Pete.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Not native to Windows but take a look at Nirsoft network tools. They are all free. You'll be able to monitor just about anything on your network.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-09-06)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the Nirsoft Wireless Network Watcher and it seems to work fine for me.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fing - download here - is another good free option
    Last edited by JohnFleming; 2015-09-07 at 04:20. Reason: correction

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-09-07)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Who is On My WiFi will actually alert you whenever a new device connects to your network.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    Fing - download here - is another good free option
    Thanks for that John, I did not realize that there was a Windows version.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Who is On My WiFi will actually alert you whenever a new device connects to your network.
    Yes it does which is pretty good really, thanks for the ideas everyone but still using "Who is on my WiFi" as really busy with work at the moment. When using "Who is on my WiFi" I get the same device appear as Unknown when I have already checked it as Known and it is the same device but with a different mac address and I'm sure it is also changing the IP address sometimes to.
    Thanks Pete.
    Screenshot (40).png
    Update. Can a WiFi booster in the house be causing this, I will unplug it after when suitable and test this.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-09-07 at 18:03.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Devices are identified by mac address, so it is natural that if the mac address changes, the device is identified as unknown.

Why does the mac address of the device keep changing?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think that's the $64,000 question as a Mac address is supposed to be specific to any given device.

Are you able to assign static IP addresses in the router for those devices ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Devices are identified by mac address, so it is natural that if the mac address changes, the device is identified as unknown.

Why does the mac address of the device keep changing?
    I turned off the TP-Link Wi-Fi Booster and I got a normal scan on "Whos on my Wi-Fi" so that problem is solved but it is strange how that works (mac address changing)

Still working on that one Sudo15, havn't a clue really but it has been interesting on my router IP address page,maybe I should be somewhere else for that(to assign static IP address ). Found how to change my Wi-Fi password while I was there so good to learn a new thing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Routers tend to have forums where you can ask how to do stuff - just Google for [make of router] forum and see what comes up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-09-10)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    I turned off the TP-Link Wi-Fi Booster and I got a normal scan on "Whos on my Wi-Fi" so that problem is solved but it is strange how that works (mac address changing)

Still working on that one Sudo15, havn't a clue really but it has been interesting on my router IP address page,maybe I should be somewhere else for that(to assign static IP address ). Found how to change my Wi-Fi password while I was there so good to learn a new thing.
    Assigning static IPs is also based on mac address. If the mac address changes, the router won't have a way to determine which device should have a certain IP. So the question remains.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was just wondering if that would have been a means of nailing them down as something is changing them.

Don't know if the router logs would show up anything, but I think that could be a step too far in finding those - no offence Pete

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I was just wondering if that would have been a means of nailing them down as something is changing them.

Don't know if the router logs would show up anything, but I think that could be a step too far in finding those - no offence Pete
    If I turn off the Wi-Fi Booster before a scan there will be no problem, pretty sure there is no problem with people on my Wi-Fi now and will make sure to change the password when the boarders have there connection up and running again.
    We have ultra fast fibre optic broadband getting installed in 10 days, it's all laid in the street ready to be blown onto our property so really looking forward to the faster speeds. The whole of NZ is getting it. Our first 12 months (on contract) of unlimited data at 50/20 speed with a free phone line will cost $69 a month. We are on naked broadband (no phone line no contract) with unlimited data for $84 a month at present so what a deal..... Also will have 100/50 speed available for $110 per month for 100GB but I think thats over kill with my budget.Or unlimited 100/50 speed for $130 per month.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-09-08 at 20:30.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So with the Booster off, do the Macs stay the same ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast