Thanks

Can Windows Server 2012 R2 run in workgroup?

My server experience finished at WS2008 (not even R2), so I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me whether it is possible in install WS2012 R2 Essentials as part of a Workgroup? I would love to have a domain - but not yet...

I need only (well, almost only!) File and Print Services - and the ability to have more than 20 PCs each to connect to two or three shares on this server, plus to use it as a Print Server for a couple of printers. I would want to RDP into it. I note that it doesn't need any form of CAL, and that it supports up to 25 users and up to 50 devices.

I've read through the simplistic stuff on the MS website, but I haven't yet come across any hardware requirements!

So any comments which someone who works with WS2012 R2, and knows of the Essentials variant, will be gratefully received.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=BATcher;1021125]
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I've read through the simplistic stuff on the MS website, but I haven't yet come across any hardware requirements!
    take a look at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/dn383626.aspx
    Last edited by gbynum; 2015-09-10 at 16:50. Reason: Removed mistake on my part

Thanks
    Thank you! I did come across the hardware requirements a day or so later, but nobody seems to have an answer to my main question.
    BATcher

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a workgroup at home with it varies) 2-8 computers. I run VirtualBox on my Windows 10 system with an older Windows version, a Linux distribution, and FreeDOS. I will download Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and see what I can do with it. Is there anything in particular you want tried?

George

Thanks
    Thank you very much! really just what i asked in the first post - can it run in a workgroup without having to have a domain.
    Then paragraph 2!
    BATcher

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got just a few minutes into the install when I had to give a domain name; it was required to go forward, so it LOOKS LIKE you cannot run it without.

I didn't go further. I note that you can download the ISO and install it; license expires in 180 days with the product key they give. So you can try it with no money out of pocket, just your time.

George

Thanks
    Thanks very much for your efforts! I suspected that a domain name was compulsory. I may try it when I can get hold of an appropriately-sized PC.
    BATcher

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear. I've been very happy with workgroups; I've not played with domain based systems, but can they share files and printers with legacy (Win95, Win98, & WinXP) Windows, Linux systems, and Mac OSX systems?

I happened across a site discussing this further and am editing my post.

http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...rkgroup-144357

discusses domain vs workgroup ... and seems to have followup info as well, but I didn't look.
    Last edited by gbynum; 2015-09-13 at 13:25. Reason: added information