Thread: A complaint

New Lounger
    Thanks

A complaint

This has happened a few times: On my laptop, while I'm intensely working on a document or another chore, W10 shuts down with no warning whatsoever because my battery was low. Couldn't they have programmed a warning so that I could've save or plugged my power in? Developers sometimes have their head in the sand.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Low battery notification should be on by default which will pop up first as a warning and then as critical.

To check/change your settings, right click on the Battery icon in the system tray and select Power Options.

Click on Change plan settings for whichever plan you are using and then on Change advanced power settings.

Scroll down to and expand Battery and then Low battery notification to use the dropdowns to select On - OK to close the window.

I would expect this to be the same in Win 10 as it is in Win 7.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    I get a warning on my Windows 10 laptop when the battery reaches a 10% charge and again at 5%.

Check Control Panel >Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced power Settings > Expand Battery
    Check the settings for Low Battery Level, Critical Battery Level, Low Battery Notification, and Low Battery Action

If the settings are OK, you have a hardware issue.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It may be that the battery is no longer in good condition and reading its status does not work as well as it should. I have seen that happening and what it usually meant was that it was time to replace the battery. With a new battery, I have seen the situation stop.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    That would be my guess as well if the settings I posted are good. Either that or the battery charge sensors in the laptop are bad but Rui's guess is more likely. In any event, Its not a Windows problem.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    HWMonitior will show the state of wear in the battery http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and this article describes how to recalibrate the laptop http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html - but from the opening post I get the impression that low battery warning was working before the upgrade to Win 10.

Fair enough, that could be coincidental but going into Device Manager, uninstalling the battery and a reboot to reinstate it could also help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. It was a surprise the 1st time b/c w8.1 software notified me. I thought all was configured properly, I'll do the checking and go from there. Thanks, again. BTW, I'm not new at this game having been a beta tester way bck when w95 went to w98. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I get a warning on my Windows 10 laptop when the battery reaches a 10% charge and again at 5%.

Check Control Panel >Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced power Settings > Expand Battery
    Check the settings for Low Battery Level, Critical Battery Level, Low Battery Notification, and Low Battery Action

If the settings are OK, you have a hardware issue.

Jerry