3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Number format in tables

Let's say we have a column or row of numbers we want to add. When we do so we have the option of choosing the format of the calculation. Let's say I want to make the result currency ($). How do I go back to all of the original numbers and make them currency, too, without having to type the $ sign in front of each one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Number format in tables

I don't think this can be done in Word itself. However, what you can do is the following:

Copy the cells you want to format to currency. Paste them into a blank Excel book. Go to Format, Cells, Number, Currency (with appropriate $ and decimal places). Copy column. Paste back into your Word table.

HTH

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John:

Essentially you want to add something at the beginning of a string of numbers. If your numbers all have decimal points, you can do the following:
    1. Select the column of numbers.
    2. Press Ctrl+H (open replace dialog box)
    3. Click more & tick "Use wildcards"
    4. Find: "[0-9]{1,}." No quotes. This finds one or more numbers ending with a decimal point.
    5. Replace: "$^t^&" No quotes. This replaces each Find with a dollar sign, tab, & whatever was found (i.e. the numbers).

Note that you will have to set the tab so that it looks neat. If you leave it out, the dollar sign will be right in front of each number & so will look like this:
    <pre> $20
    $2
    $300</pre>

which isn't what you probably want.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you for replying. And a special thank you to Phil (love your two-colour signature) for allowing me to solve this problem in Word without going to Excel.