Star Lounger
    Thanks

Locating a network card and updating the driver

Forgive me if I've posted this to the wrong board. Am not quite sure where it belongs.

I've installed a VPN client (CyberGhost), but it's not working yet. The support rep has asked me to "...check what network card you have, go on the creator's website and install the latest driver."

According to this source, info about the network card can be viewed by going to System Information > Components > Network > Adapter.

TING, TANG, WALLA-WALLA BING BANG! Good grief! What am I looking at?!?

Would one of you patient souls do me the kindness of downloading the JPEG That Ate Cleveland? It's a (huge) screenshot of my Adapter info.

1. Can you spot the network card? WHERE'S WALDO?

2. Once spotted, where on the computer should I be looking for the driver?

I'm none too tech-savvy, and this VPN adventure feels like a project that could go wrong in a hurry. Your thoughts?

Kind thanks.

Brooks

Windows 7 Pro, SP 1, x64

Thanks
    Go to Device Manager>network adapter>right click on it and choose property's> you will notice a driver tab, click on that and it will tell you what the driver version is.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, lumpy95!

When I open the Network adapters "Properties" window, it's empty. What might that mean......if anything?

Here's a shot of the expanded Network adapters tree in Device Manager:

Is the first item (Dell Wireless 1540 802.11a/g/n) the adapter? Forgive my denseness, but I honestly don't know what I'm looking for.

I also see two ominous yellow exclamation points by TAP-Windows Adapter V9 and WAN Miniport (PPPOE).

Thanks again.

Thanks
    I also see two ominous yellow exclamation points by TAP-Windows Adapter V9 and WAN Miniport (PPPOE).
    The exclamation points mean that there are no drivers found for those 2 applications. Check Dell support for that problem.

When I open the Network adapters "Properties" window, it's empty. What might that mean......if anything?
    Right click on "Dell Wireless 1540 802.11a/g/n" and you will see the selection I am talking about.
    Device Mngr.jpg

After finding driver version, check with Dell for an updated driver for Dell Wireless 1540 802.11a/g/n, I would also check for an updated driver for Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection at Intel's site.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2015-09-10)

Thanks
    Here's how you can find which driver goes with your NIC (Network Interface Card):

In the Network Adapter Properties window you have shown above, there are two possibilities, depending on whether you are connected wirelessly or via a network cable:

wireless -- Dell Wireless 1540...
    network cable -- Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Right-click on the one you are using, and choose Properties. Then look around on the Details tab for a DEV and a VEN number. These two numbers will allow you to find the correct driver. You will then go here, where you can search on the VEN number, and then scroll down from there to find the DEV number. Once you have found it, you will see all of the information you need to download the latest driver.

Go here for a full explanation of the above method.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-09-09 at 14:56.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great thanks to you both for taking the time to help me.

Last night I found a Dell System Update utility buried in my Start Menu, and ran it for the first time ever. It updated the BIOS, a ton of drivers, and lord-knows-what else. Among the drivers it updated was the Dell Wireless 1540. So that's encouraging!

Then, via a lucky confluence of Google and Microsoft, I managed to get rid of the yellow exclamation point next to the WAN Miniport (PPPOE). The solution was here, and I chose the "Let me fix it myself" option.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I would also check for an updated driver for Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection at Intel's site.
    Thanks lumpy. While searching for a download, I found this on the Intel site:

"The software drivers linked from this page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided via your system manufacturer."

Given my remedial tech skills (and since I'm dealing with an OEM), I'm going to hope that the Dell System Update utility takes care of Intel updates.

Unresolved is the troublesome TAP-Windows Adapter V9. It appears to be related to VPNs, and seems to have caused a good number of headaches. For now, I'm turning it over to the CyberGhost team, and we'll see what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    look around on the Details tab for a DEV and a VEN number.
    Thanks, Jim. Am hoping the Dell System update took care of that, but for future reference, I found four hardware IDs for this driver in Device Manager:

P C l\VE N_14E4& D E V_4359&S U B S Y S_00141028&R E V_00
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_00141028
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&CC_028000
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&CC_0280

The VEN number is obviously 14E4.

But can you tell me which of those other lines is the DEV number?

4359&S U B S Y S_00141028&R E V_00
    4359&SUBSYS_00141028
    4359&CC_028000
    4359&CC_0280

Again, thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooksNYC View Post
    Great thanks to you both for taking the time to help me.

Last night I found a Dell System Update utility buried in my Start Menu, and ran it for the first time ever. It updated the BIOS, a ton of drivers, and lord-knows-what else. Among the drivers it updated was the Dell Wireless 1540. So that's encouraging!

Then, via a lucky confluence of Google and Microsoft, I managed to get rid of the yellow exclamation point next to the WAN Miniport (PPPOE). The solution was here, and I chose the "Let me fix it myself" option.

Thanks lumpy. While searching for a download, I found this on the Intel site:

"The software drivers linked from this page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided via your system manufacturer."

Given my remedial tech skills (and since I'm dealing with an OEM), I'm going to hope that the Dell System Update utility takes care of Intel updates.

Unresolved is the troublesome TAP-Windows Adapter V9. It appears to be related to VPNs, and seems to have caused a good number of headaches. For now, I'm turning it over to the CyberGhost team, and we'll see what they have to say.

Thanks, Jim. Am hoping the Dell System update took care of that, but for future reference, I found four hardware IDs for this driver in Device Manager:

P C l\VE N_14E4& D E V_4359&S U B S Y S_00141028&R E V_00
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_00141028
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&CC_028000
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&CC_0280

The VEN number is obviously 14E4.

But can you tell me which of those other lines is the DEV number?

4359&S U B S Y S_00141028&R E V_00
    4359&SUBSYS_00141028
    4359&CC_028000
    4359&CC_0280

Again, thanks!
    Your DEV number is 4359. The VEN and DEV numbers are each four characters.

Before I found out about how to use the VEN and DEV numbers, the way I installed the driver for an unknown, unidentifiable (to me) NIC was to temporarily connect another NIC (e.g. a USB NIC), get on line, and do a Windows Update. I would then install only that one update. It worked every time. The only reason I would hesitate to use that method in your situation is that you might not get the latest driver that way. Also, you might not have a 2nd NIC that you could use.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-09-10 at 14:10.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2015-09-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You've been a great help, Jim, and I appreciate your advice.
    Last edited by BrooksNYC; 2015-09-10 at 22:41.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BrooksNYC For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-09-11)

Thanks
    Wouldn't you know it - this evening I needed to find the driver for a new USB card I installed in my computer, so I used the VEN and DEV method I explained above!

Actually, the driver came with the card -- along with three other drivers! And there was no indication which was the correct driver.

Not wanting to install all four drivers, I got the VEN number and looked up the manufacturer. I then could see which was the correct driver, and I successfully installed that one.