Thread: Reset PC

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reset PC

I have had problems with my printer since I installed Windows 10 and cannot seem to get it fixed. I thought I would just delete it and then start over but it has been stuck at Removing Device for 4 days now.

I decided that I would Reset PC and use the option to keep my files while losing apps. I'm OK with that, I can re-install Apps, (anyone remember when they used to be called Programs?) but there are a lot of items listed that look like they are important parts of controlling the computer. Such as, AMD Catalyst, Atheros Controller Pack, DTS Sound, Play Ready PC Runtime, Realtek Card Reader and so on. Are these Apps important for running the computer? Will Windows 10 use it's own drivers for these items? Help! Thank you.

Thanks
    AMD Catalyst
    Video drivers
    Atheros Controller Pack
    Wireless controller
    DTS Sound
    Realtek sound control panel
    Realtek Card Reader
    self explanatory ( SD card reader )

On my HP laptop conversion to W10, all of those seemed to work after the upgrade and eventually W10 found newer drivers and also HP has a support page for W10 drivers now ( not all drivers, but they are adding more all the time.
    Since you didn't say, I assume that you have an HP.

Thanks
    Catalyst is a front end to the video driver and is not necessary. I have an AMD video card and I haven't installed Catalyst in ages.
    Not sure how necessary the others are.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ended up not resetting it. The problem was 2 files, not print jobs, had gotten into the Print Spooler directory and really gummed up the works. I deleted them and now everything seems to be working.

I still wonder about resetting Windows 10 though, it sounds like nothing would work when it is done. Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Glad you got it somewhat sorted out.