Thread: USB problems

New Lounger
    Thanks

USB problems

Every time I do a shut down and reboot, my usb D: drive disappears. If I do a hard boot disconnecting all power so windows will reload all the drivers and such, my usb re-appears.
    In Device Mgr when I go to the usb area I notice that one usb has a yellow colon (!) over it. I updated the driver but that did not take it away so something is wrong here. I think it needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled but I didn't want to do that until I get some advice.
    Thanks, Dave

Thanks
    These instructions were from a long ago post and they worked great for me to uninstall a USB drive and then reinstall it.
    The OP could try the following (unplug the USB Flash drives first):
    Open an elevated Command Prompt (Start/Search, type "cmd" [no quotes]).
    At the top of the list of results right-click "cmd" (cmd.exe) then left-click "Run as Administrator".
    At the prompt type "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (no quotes) then press Enter.
    Then type "START DEVMGMT.MSC" then press Enter.
    A "Device Manager" window should open; click on View/Show hidden devices

Any greyed-out (disconnected) devices listed under "Disk Drives" and "Universal Serial Bus controllers" that you recognise as your USB Flash drives should be removed (right-click/Uninstall).
    Any greyed-out (disconnected) devices listed under "Unknown Devices" should be safe to remove.

Once you have removed any problem devices you should restart Windows; once Windows has loaded fully plug in one of your Flash drives - Windows should now detect and install it normally.
    HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Now let me just get this straight Lumpy, you want me to delete all the greyed-out usb drivers? See the attachment, I have nine usb that look greyed-out to me. The only one I am concerned with is the one mass storage device with the yellow colon(!) over it. How about I just delete that one and then do a restart? Safe?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    @ Dave Leonard

I originally posted the instructions quoted by lumpy95.

You should only need to uninstall the "USB Mass Storage Device" that has the yellow triangle/exclamation mark in your first screenshot.

Re your second screenshot note the info in the "Device status" field. Did you unplug the USB drive before restarting Windows?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-10-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows10 Driver upgrade blunder

What worked for me on a dell 6400 laptop (original os Wxp upgraded to w7 pro by clean install (was very happy) having arrived with the same problem. I Could not find a way to install missing Drivers.

(1) I then reset the pc --no joy
    (2) found I could not go back to windows 7 ?
    (3) All attempts to installing missing Drivers still failed
    (4) had forgot to verify my windows 7 drive image so no joy

I was of the belief that I had missed a driver instillation sequence

(5) Started reinstall of W7 pro all drivers Ok and created and verified image
    (6) Upgraded to windows 10
    (7) checked that w7 restore was available
    (8) checked device manager 2 base drivers missing (USB) --scratched head I knew I had completed all steps so far
    (9) decided to run Iobit Drive booster 2 it found the missing drivers and installing them showed device manager had healed
    (10 then and only then ran windows updates

One family member has a surface Pro 3. It sings compared to other machines I have seen upgraded. Roll on the Lotto

Biillja
    Last edited by billja; 2015-10-22 at 10:28. Reason: correction full screen view after post showed errors