2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install W10 on dead Sony Vaio [SOLVED]

OK, I realise that sounds absurd! I am helping a friend whose hard drive failed, and she had not created recovery discs, so I have ordered a new HDD which is on its way. I am reluctant to splurge nearly 60 (via Sony support) to replace an OS (W7 Home premium) she has already paid for, and am considering two options:

1. Try to install from a retail DVD I have (and am using), but use the Vaio key, or
    2. Install W10, and hope to activate somehow using the Vaio key.

Assuming (1) fails (I realise the Vaio key may be incompatible with a retail W7 DVD), I am interested to know whether (2) would work. Everything I have read (including this months main article) says I have to upgrade the existing W7 first - but of course that is impossible.

Any ideas? If no-one knows (and even if they say its impossible), I will give it a go, but would like to know whether I can promise her a long drawn-out battle or a quick result.
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2015-09-10 at 17:54. Reason: Issue solved

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Everything you've read is correct.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Vaio key won't work and even if you purchased a separate OEM (not Vaio) and installed that, the key would not tally with the COA sticker and would void the Win 10 upgrade.

I think you will have to bite the bullet and get the OEM recovery disks from Sony.

Thanks
    Actually OP should be able to do a clean install of Win7 w/ the installation DVD he has. When prompted for product key choose the "skip" option. Once setup completes go to Control Panel\System then (in the "Windows activation" section) click on "Change product key" and enter the Vaio's key. Worst case OP might have to work through the "activate by phone" process.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

mngerhold (2015-09-10)

Thanks
    And worst case you should be able to a legit Retail W7 from Ebay for that price w/o all the sony crapware. I am running W7 Ultimate just purchased for $99.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Everything you've read is correct.
    Thanks to all for the answers - I'll let you know how I get on...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    The Vaio key won't work and even if you purchased a separate OEM (not Vaio) and installed that, the key would not tally with the COA sticker and would void the Win 10 upgrade.

I think you will have to bite the bullet and get the OEM recovery disks from Sony.
    Well, I inadvertently misled you all - my W7 DVD was an OEM install, and whilst it did not activate automatically using the VAio key, I was able to activate via the automated telephone system (punching in loads of numbers, and getting loads back). After installing the wifi drivers from Sony's site (free !), the laptop is now thinking about updating itself - it does have a few years of catching up. I think W10 can wait for another day...

Thanks
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.