5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Logitech Mouse Dongle Power Drain

I have a relatively new Surface Pro 3 that I have been experimenting around with. The other day I woke it up in the morning to find that the power was down to 32%. I couldn't figure out what could have drained the power so much overnight.

After thinking about it, it occurred to me that I had connected the Logitech M525 mouse I carry with my laptop the day before. It didn't seem a likely culprit but I decided to test it out by charging the computer then leaving it set. What I found is that with the dongle connected, the power went down 7% in 4hrs where as without the dongle, it took 17hrs to lose that same amount of power.

I'm not sure why the power drain is this high while it's asleep, but I'm guessing that it must be constantly looking for input from the device. In any case, it argues against leaving the dongle attached all the time.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you have any Wake on.. settings that you alter to exclude waking on the mouse ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Graham,

Did you switch the mouse off? I always flip the switch on the mouse when not in use. Also, was the computer on? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Graham,

Did you switch the mouse off? I always flip the switch on the mouse when not in use. Also, was the computer on? HTH
    RG I think that would make it worse. If the receiver does not 'see' the mouse it may up the power or keep 'hunting' to make a connection.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do turn the mouse off and as far as I am aware there are no Wake On settings. I've checked the sleep log and it clearly shows a USB drain while it's sleeping when the dongle is in and none when it's disconnected.

It's possible that newer Logitech mice don't do this. I'll have to try it with a newer M705 mouse I got for my desktop. The real answer is probably to purchase a Bluetooth mouse or not use a mouse when it's running on batteries.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    The fact that your power drains more when the mouse dongle is connected than when it's not reminds me of another situation, which confirms in my mind that you are correct about the dongle draining your battery.

Whenever I have a cord plugged into my guitar, the battery drains. It doesn't matter whether or not the other end of the cord is plugged into anything.

I know that the two technologies are very different (the guitar cord and the mouse dongle). But sometimes we can get ideas about things when we see some other situation.

Perhaps a different mouse / dongle wouldn't drain your battery. But I think you have found the solution if you plan to keep this mouse / dongle -- unplug the dongle when you aren't using the computer.

Thanks
    Try going to device manager, right click on the entry for your mouse, and select properties.
    Click on the power management tab
    Place a checkmark next to "Allow computer to turn off this device...."

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

gsmith-plm (2015-09-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Place a checkmark next to "Allow computer to turn off this device...."
    That option is greyed out, but there is an option to allow the mouse to wake the computer that I will turn off and see if that makes any difference.

I'm still going to get a BT mouse to free up the lone USB port.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware