5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 + Surface Pro 3 = No Real Sleep

OK, I have to admit it, despite having worked with computers since the 1970's, I'm still a bit of a Luddite. I like what I am used to having because I've invested a lot of time in understanding what I have and how it works. And Win10 on a Surface Pro 3 is different - very, very different - in many, many ways.

Right now I'm looking at the power settings and trying to wrap my head around Connected Standby and trying to understand why I would want this. I get the general idea. People seem to have this need to remain connected to the interweb 24/7 and MS is just trying to accommodate them. What I don't get is the assumption that everyone wants this and has no interest in an alternative.

My SP3 with Win10 has only one Power Plan, "Balanced". There are two things I really don't get about how this has changed. The first is the default setting that keeps WiFi connected while the device is sleeping. This right here tells me that the device isn't really sleeping, it's just "resting it's eyes", so to speak.

The second is the fact that under this plan, the device doesn't hibernate. I'm going to assume that this is an attempt to extended the life of the SSD by not writing to a hibernation file. But I was rather under the impression that this really didn't matter that much.

What I want to know is, other than shutting it off at night, is there a better way to make sure it really gets a good nights sleep, other than going into the settings of every program and telling it to stop talking and go to sleep?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    The Surface Pro 3 does in fact hibernate after a period of time.
    Initially it will be set as "InstantGo", but after a few hours of non usage it will hibernate.
    These are very good features to have, but one must also "lock things down" too.

I don't own one [yet], but you need to look through your documentation or seek info regarding it's function.
    Took me all of 5 minutes to do so.

Surface Pro 3 features
    Surface Pro 3 Tip: How to Hibernate and Keep InstantGo (Updated)
    disable AOAC and Connected Standby
    Networks flyout Shortcut - Create in Windows 8
    Ask Paul: Surface Pro 3 and Hyper-V
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-09-10 at 10:33.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    The Surface Pro 3 does in fact hibernate after a period of time.
    Mine isn't set that way and I have not changed it from the default. I've drilled down until I get to all the power settings and Hibernation is off for both Battery and Power. My assumption is that this is the default since I see the same thing reported in numerous interweb postings.

You state that you don't own one so you may be going by what you have read regarding the SP3 and/or the tech release of Win10. I am finding numerous differences between what has been written about Win10 and what's actually shipping.

It's possible that there is a difference in how the Surface Pro 3 ships now as opposed to what it was at some past point. MS is known for slip-streaming changes.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I recommend that you look into the "Ask Paul" article in my above post.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend that you look into the "Ask Paul" article in my above post.
    I'd already seen that and Hyper-V isn't active.

One of the biggest issues is that some of what was written prior to the shipment of Win10 was based on the Tech Preview and things change prior to release. To add to the confusion, much of what's written about the SP3 pertains to the Win8 models and some of it doesn't distinguish between the Surface Pro, SP2, and SP3.

Paul's article was written in Apr 2015 and likely refers to Win8. I've already looked at several things that powercfg shows and some of the switches are different and some of the information revealed is different. For example, Standby (Connected) on mine is Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected. Whether the only thing that has changed is the name, I cannot say.

Basically, what I am saying is that a Surface Pro 3 with Win10 is different than what has come before, and that includes an SP3 with a tech release version of Win10.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    What's the size of your drive?
    Hibernation requires at least the same amount of space as your OS takes.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What's the size of your drive? Hibernation requires at least the same amount of space as your OS takes.
    It's 128GB and there is a hibernation file and it only needs to be as large as the RAM contents (4GB max for me).

And it's not that Hibernation isn't available, I can add it to the Power settings via the Group Policy Editor (Win10 Pro) and I can change the Power Plan to hibernate after a given period. I just can't figure out why the default is set to not hibernate. There has to be a logic to it, particularly since this seems to be a change from past behavior.

One other variable just occurred to me, I'm running a clean install of Win10 Pro (64) and the Home version might be different.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I probably should have mentioned that the thing that got me looking at the power plan is the power drain on my Surface Pro 3 at night. I found that a mouse dongle was causing a drain and removed it.

For some reason, it seems as if this computer never really sleeps. I'm sure it has something to do with this "Connected" business, this sleeping with one eye open. In a 14hr period of sitting idle, it's losing 78% of it's power - that's not sleeping.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Try running "powercfg -energy" from an elevated command prompt to get a report that may show what's preventing sleep.
    See http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7638/...er-efficiency/
    for details.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Already ran the energy, battery, and sleepstudy reports and find two things. But before I say any more about that, I'm finding that the sleep thing is terribly inconsistent. Last night, it went from 10pm to 7:30am today with only a 3% power drain!

According to the one report, Cortana is using a small but steady amount of power, despite the fact that I don't use it. And it doesn't appear to be possible to stop this.

The big red flag in the energy report is the USB device not entering suspended state. This is what consumed all the power the other night as well. What I can't figure is why, since there's nothing connected to it. This is what I am looking into currently.

I don't leave programs running overnight but it seems as if there is something may not be closing correctly. More testing on this is needed, for sure.

Another note, I used the SP3 about an hour reading mail and browsing the interweb and it burned through 23% of the battery. That's not good!!!
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-09-13 at 08:35.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is becoming stranger and stranger... Last night I rebooted the device and charged it to 100% and took it off charge at 9p. This morning at 8a, I checked and it was at 99%! It hadn't used any power (to speak of) while it was asleep for 11hrs! This makes no sense at all. It wasn't turned off or hibernated, it was asleep and it used only 1% of the power - I don't know how that's possible

I spend about 40min this am checking mail, opening and closing the browser, and getting some new powercfg reports and the power went down to 90%, that's a bit faster than I would expect, so I'm wondering if the initial reading I got on the power was before it was fully awake and registered. That would make more sense because in past tests it does lose a few % at night on the best nights. Anyway, I'm going to leave it alone for a couple hours now and see what happens.

BTW, the only warning I get with the powercfg reports is that the USB isn't entering suspend state. Not sure what that's all about because there's nothing plugged in but perhaps something is monitoring. I'll keep looking.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's an update... It still continues to drain much more slowly than it had been. One thing I did see on power reports is the USB. It was suggested in another thread that a firmware update may have fixed this.

There is one due that addresses power drain from the card reader, but that has not been applied at this point. So I'm still at a loss as to what stopped the drain.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware