New Lounger
    Thanks

Reason to do a clean install

Fred Langa has an article on how to do a clean install following the Windows 10 upgrade. I'm running Windows 8.1, fully updated. It has had a lot of action and so probably is quite messy under the surface, although it's running okay. Can anyone tell me if there is a good reason to do the clean install? And if there is a reason to do so, is there a benefit to doing a bare metal install vs a Reset? I want to make sure my Windows 10 installation is as clean as possible. Thanks for your thoughts!

Rae

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rae,

As Fred stated you need to do the Upgrade first anyway so why not just do it and see if it works ok. If not you can then do the bare-metal install. Of course it will most likely take you days to get it back to a working condition with all your programs/data/settings just the way you had them in Win 8.1. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I agree, do the upgrade install first. Most people DON'T have serious issues.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to you both. That's the way I was leaning, but wanted to ask some experts first.