New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy No internet access but wifi is connected

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but reverted back to Windows 7 a few days ago, as my video card was not compatible. After reverting back to Windows 7 I could not access internet through anything even though it shows that I am connected to an operative wireless, no yellow triangle or any hints of disconnection. I could connect my laptop to my mobile's hotspot as well, it shows up as device connected on both my phone and laptop, however I still can't access internet on my laptop. My other computer can connect to the same router and access internet fine as well, so there's nothing wrong with the connection, just my laptop can't access internet.
    I've browsed and tried all the methods I could find: reset IP address, flush DNS, clean boot startup, uninstalled and reinstalled my network adapter driver, Firewall wasn't the issue... I also tried to system restore my laptop however as I only reverted back to Windows 7 a few days ago there was no restore point for me to go back to. In command: ipconfig/all shows that:

DHCP Enabled................................Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.......Yes
    IPv4 Address.................................xxx.xxx.x. 13(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask.................................xxx.xxx.xxx.0

Default Gateway...........................xxx.xxx.1.1
    DHCP Server...................................[same as Default Gateway]
    DNS Servers....................................[same as Default Gateway]

NetBIOS over Tcpip.....................Enabled

For the computer that can access internet, there only difference in command:ipconfig/all is that there are lines stating the IPv6 address and properties:

Link-local IPv6 Address..............xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address...................................xxx.xxx. x.12(Preferred)

DHCPv6 IAID....................................xxxxxxxxx
    DHCPv6 Client DUID.....................xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

The only difference that I could see is that my laptop did not have an IPv6 connection, and that the IPv4 address has a different last digit (13 vs 12). Is not having IPv6 the problem? I tried going into Network Connections, right clicking on the connection and go to Properties, check and unchecked IPv6/Ipv4, auto detected IP address and DNS point, still no access.
    Could someone give me an idea of what I should do? Many thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's always best to post the full ipconfig /all as there could be some component that you have missed and the data isn't sensitive.

How did you determine the firewall wasn't the problem and which firewall are you using ?

What did the Windows trouble shooter report ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-11 at 08:45.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I see... I apologize for cross posting, I didn't realize there is a rule against this.

The original forum is at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-3e4fd789af8d

I would like to keep this one alive, as I think there is more chance for a solution to be found here than the official Microsoft community, the friendly Microsoft helper didn't help much at all. Just told me to try basic things like troubleshooting and reinstalling drivers. I think I've tried all the "common fixes", so I need some expert advice.

As per Rule 14, if experts could give me some advice in my original forum, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Capture.PNG

I knew that Firewall wasn't the issue because I completely turned it off for both private and public networks (the connection I'm connected to is a public network), and couldn't access the internet. It's just the standard Windows Firewall for Windows 7.

Troubleshooting didn't yield any results, it couldn't identify the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's just that antivirus programs can sometimes block if there's been a dodgy Definition update, but it may not have liked the transition back to Win 7.

Do you have an antivirus program installed.

The best way to isolate any 3rd party programs is by booting up into Safe Mode with Networking which is done by tapping F8 as you switch on, although this key can differ with different makes of computer.

If you can connect in this mode and you have an antivirus program, that may need uninstalling/reinstalling, but otherwise, run a command prompt as an administrator and enter -

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

exit

Then reboot.

If you still cannot connect then you will need to check if the relevant Services are as they should be.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

EdwardW (2015-09-21)